Author Topic: Madame Pratt  (Read 627 times)

Offline derby girl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Madame Pratt
« on: Monday 20 April 20 22:00 BST (UK) »
My husband worked for 44 years in the NHS and did part of his training at the Royal Eye Infirmary in Weymouth.  There was a plaque which stated that Queen Victoria was the Patron, and Madame Pratt was the Vice Patron.  He's always wondered who Madame Pratt was - can anyone help, please?
Thanks
Derby Girl
Winson, Derbys; Stanley, Sts; Franklin, Beds; Barker Sts etc. ; Farnham, Dorset; Harrison, Dbys, Leics.

Offline trish18

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Madame Pratt
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 April 20 22:22 BST (UK) »
Madame Pratt, otherwise known as Mrs Amy Pratt was a chemist and photographer with premises at Norwich Road, Ipswich. Residence address was Belvidere,Weymouth.
Carroll - Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork
Hooley - Tattenhall, Cheshire
Lloyd - Gresford, Denbighshire
Platt - Wrexham, Denbighshire
Sullivan- Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork

Offline derby girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 23:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Trish for your information.  It is a great help.  I have tried FindMyPast to find out more about her but am not doing very well - looks like I'll have to wait until next time I'm in Dorset - whenever that might be considering everything.  She sounds such an interesting woman and yet I can't find much about her.  I thought I'd find her in the newspapers - and found her invited to one or two nice weddings - though Dorset isn't heavily digitised yet.
All the best at this trying time.
Derby Girl
Winson, Derbys; Stanley, Sts; Franklin, Beds; Barker Sts etc. ; Farnham, Dorset; Harrison, Dbys, Leics.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 23:24 BST (UK) »
Could be her death

Amy Pratt aged 72 September qtr 1936  Ipswich  4a 986

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 00:11 BST (UK) »
Guesswork

She was born Amy Kerby 1864 Kensington Middlesex and married Frank Hugh Pratt 1894 in Ipswich

Frank died 1955 Ipswich but although he is shown as married on the 1901 and 1911 - no wife in household.  A daughter Dorothy Amy was born 1895 - mmn Kerby

Frank H Pratt married 1916 to Eleanor Cook in Ipswich and his probate entry shows Eleanor as his widow

No death pre 1916 for Amy so I am guessing they divorced
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 00:16 BST (UK) »
They divorced 5.6.1916.  He petitioned on the grounds of her adultery with James Fraser Dukes

Dukes was b 1860 Dorset and was married on censuses to 1911 & died 29.12.191.   Probate entry shows his widow as the wife on the censuses - Annie Mary Charlotte