Author Topic: Chance Inn  (Read 3652 times)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
Re: Chance Inn
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 16:58 BST (UK) »
Gadget

Have sent you a PM

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 17:22 BST (UK) »
That is definitely the Chance Inn in Inverkeilor. I always remember it as whitewashed - must have passed it hundreds of times on the way to and from our family cottage a few miles away. And of course I've been in for a drink or a pub meal. I think it was only stripped back to the (beautiful) Old Red Sandstone relatively recently.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 17:24 BST (UK) »
Just had some information to say they did own the Troqueer Arms, Dumfries also, Margaret bought the the Chance Inn in Inverkeillor, after selling the Troqueer Arms.

cupcake :)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 17:25 BST (UK) »
That is definitely the Chance Inn in Inverkeilor. I always remember it as whitewashed - must have passed it hundreds of times. And of course been in for a drink or a pub meal. I think it was only stripped back to the (beautiful) Old Red Sandstone relatively recently.

Thank you for your help. Very much appreciated.I have to agree with you, the sandstone is nicer.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 17:33 BST (UK) »
Angus County Licensing Court on Tuesday granted the following applications—New tenants or occupiers — Mrs Mein or Carnegie, Troqueer Arms, Dumfries, for the Chance Inn, Inverkeilor .... [Arbroath Guide, 3 November 1956; Arbroath Herald etc, 2 November 1956; Montrose Standard, 1 November 1956]
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 17:36 BST (UK) »
. I think it was only stripped back to the (beautiful) Old Red Sandstone relatively recently.

I think the photo in my link is quite old, going by the clothing of the people, so it must have been painted  and then stripped back again!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 18:46 BST (UK) »
. I think it was only stripped back to the (beautiful) Old Red Sandstone relatively recently.
I think the photo in my link is quite old, going by the clothing of the people, so it must have been painted  and then stripped back again!
Yes, it must have been. 

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 19:27 BST (UK) »
Angus County Licensing Court on Tuesday granted the following applications—New tenants or occupiers — Mrs Mein or Carnegie, Troqueer Arms, Dumfries, for the Chance Inn, Inverkeilor .... [Arbroath Guide, 3 November 1956; Arbroath Herald etc, 2 November 1956; Montrose Standard, 1 November 1956]

That gives me dates to refer to. Thanks.

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 21:40 BST (UK) »
 I am curious to know what Reginald's father merchant  business was.