Author Topic: Patrick Cunningham  (Read 1053 times)

Offline plaidgal1355

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Cunningham
« on: Tuesday 21 April 20 20:51 BST (UK) »
Looking for birth family information on Patrick Cunningham, born 28 Feb 1818.
Family history passed down:
Patrick came to the USA from Sligo in 1833, when he was 15.  (He may have been a stowaway, as we've not found him listed on any passenger list) He came to Topsham, Vermont, to the home of a man he had known in Ireland, McAlvie. ( 1940 census, the only spelling that comes close is Daniel McCalloway. On his gravestone it is McCalvey.)
Patrick married Jerusha Avery in 1841. They had 7 children.  He died in a logging accident Jan 1853.

Offline marc roberts

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Cunningham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 May 20 12:49 BST (UK) »
I can' make a connection to your person of interest at this time, but hoping something might come up.

Thomas CUNNINGHAM, a Coast Guard boatman from Rathlee, Sligo.
  born. c.1809 based on his age given at the time of his death.
  died. 15 July 1877 in Rathlee, County Sligo, aged 68.
  buried. Kilglass Cemetery, County Sligo.

The witness at his death was Sarah CUNNINGHAM, believed to be his wife who may have been formerly Sarah KILCULLEN. No details of their marriage or Sarah's birth or death are known.

Their only known child was:-
John KILCULLEN, born Patrick John CUNNINGHAM (1850-1916) at Larne, who joined the Royal Navy as an underage boy in 1864, with his father's permission, at Rathlee. John eventually deserted from the Navy in 1876, in Sydney NSW, changed his name, settled in Australia and thereafter claimed his parents were named Thomas KILCULLEN and Sarah CUNNINGHAM.

Looking to hopefully establish some definite information about the CUNNINGHAM and KILCULLEN connections from Sligo. I've opened a separate Topic with more information on this family if anything seems familiar. :)

Cheers,
Marc
Buckinghamshire - Roberts, Radford
Lincolnshire - Christian, Plant, Woodcock, Cook, Harrison
Bedfordshire - Rowney
Devon - Gould, Weymouth, Williams, Pitts, Sprigg
Gloucestershire - Poulton, Ward, Price
Dorset - Hoare
Oxfordshire - Radford
Cheshire - Turner
Yorkshire - Cook, Horsfall
Inverness - McLean, McPherson
Renfrewshire/Lanarkshire - Sands, Wilson
Ireland - Sprigg, Mosse, Mellington, Kilcullen, Cunningham, Cahill, Nickson, Hodson

Offline plaidgal1355

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Cunningham
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 May 20 13:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this, Marc.
Perhaps Thomas was Patrick's older brother, and he named his son for him.  Or maybe their father was also Patrick.  So many possibilities!  The family info saying he came from Sligo could mean he lived there, or he sailed from there, too...