Author Topic: Kirk Session records to be made available on ScotlandsPeople within months  (Read 4955 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kirk Session records to be made available on ScotlandsPeople within months
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 April 20 12:38 BST (UK) »
Oooh I'm so excited
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 April 20 12:50 BST (UK) »
You can get some English and Welsh certificates in digital form from GRO, but not instantly, and at £6 a time they cost 4 times as much as Scottish ones. Even though the information they contain is not as good.

You can get some burial, baptism and marriage records (not just transcriptions) online up to mid 1930s (and maybe later) on some of the subscription sites - mainly C of E but some non-conformist and RC ones.   For example, I was able to get a copy of my parents' mid 1930s marriage.  The number of England and Wales  post 1837 records are vastly greater in  number than Scotland's.

Also, this thread is really about kirk sessions records and not BMD.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 April 20 21:20 BST (UK) »
If you are trying to build up a full picture of your ancestors beyond just a list of names and dates, the kirk-session records are absolutely invaluable. At least, if your ancestors were a bit naughty and got into the bad books of the minister and the elders. If they kept their noses clean you won't find out much more about them.

I started doing genealogy back in the early 1980s when you had to go and queue on the steps outside Register House in the morning before they opened up, and once I had got some elementary family-trees going for both sides of the family, I discovered the kirk-session records in the Scottish Record Office handily next-door (now the National Archives of Scotland) and was often able to put some flesh on the bones of my ancestors with their help.

I still have to pinch myself when I sit down here at the computer like this and spend my pension on Scotlandspeople credits, so easy, and so tempting! If the k-s records do become available online in my lifetime I expect I will splash out on them too.

Harry

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 April 20 21:40 BST (UK) »
I agree, Harry. I spent a good few hours in Edinburgh looking through some of them. Also, I was lucky that the parish clerk in one of the parishes let me have sight of some of the old kirk session records that he had.  Unfortunately, I still need access to 2 or 3 more parishes and I don't think I'll get to Edinburgh anytime soon.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 April 20 21:42 BST (UK) »
I am so excited about this. I have lots of things that would be in the Kirk Session records, I had been planning to go to Edinburgh this year to have a look, but obviously that didn't happen. They really are a wonderful team at SP.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 April 20 23:55 BST (UK) »
I agree, Harry. I spent a good few hours in Edinburgh looking through some of them. Also, I was lucky that the parish clerk in one of the parishes let me have sight of some of the old kirk session records that he had.  Unfortunately, I still need access to 2 or 3 more parishes and I don't think I'll get to Edinburgh anytime soon.

Gadget

Actually, I remember that a lot of kirk-session and other records (e.g. heritors' records) were sent out to local record offices years ago in a process of decentralisation. When I used to look at them in Edinburgh these local repositories didn't exist, but a lot of East Neuk of Fife records went to St. Andrews University library and others went to a record office in Markinch, while a lot of Borders records went to Hawick, I think. What's it called, the Hub? So I don't know how many are left in the NAS in Edinburgh.

Harry

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 April 20 04:50 BST (UK) »
The Kirk Session records sound like they could be a real gold mine.

I found this old rootschat thread from 2005  ::) which gave me a bit more information about Kirk Sessions:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=30381.0

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 May 20 10:25 BST (UK) »
I thought they could already be viewed digitally at a few places in Scotland and not just Edinburgh. 

I wonder what it will cost to see them online?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 May 20 10:37 BST (UK) »
I thought they could already be viewed digitally at a few places in Scotland and not just Edinburgh.
Yes, they can. Aberdeen, Inverness and Glasgow, and I believe Alloa and Hawick. There may be others.

I wonder what it will cost to see them online?
The grapevine tells me that how to charge for viewing them is the major stumbling block over making them available online.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.