Author Topic: Kirk Session records to be made available on ScotlandsPeople within months  (Read 4952 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kirk Session records to be made available on ScotlandsPeople within months
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 02:18 BST (UK) »
I was a little concerned when I read this that these minutes might no longer be available via LDS FamilyHistoryCentres, and it appears to be the case.  I had a feeling that they might go the way of the census records that were suddenly removed from FamilySearch.

Looking at the catalogue on FamilySearch not only have kirk session minutes lost the locked camera icon next to them, but also next to parish records such as baptisms, marriages and burial.

I'm very sad about this,  as when the lockdown started I'd been going through some parishes page by page, looking out for witnesses at baptisms and trying to work out who was related to or friends with whom.

I might as well just give up on trying to research in Scotland.  For the period I was looking at in Edinburgh parish from the 1660s there were about 100 pages of baptisms per year.  I can't afford to do this anymore.

I guess I also feel extremely frustrated by the timing, as without the lockdown I'd have been able to continue with this for a little longer. 

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 09:49 BST (UK) »
I was a little concerned when I read this that these minutes might no longer be available via LDS FamilyHistoryCentres, and it appears to be the case.
Don't confuse the Kirk Session records, the vast majority of which have never been available online, with the parish registers, which have long been available on FamilySearch.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 09:51 BST (UK) »
Kirk session records have never been available on Family Search, only in some local archive offices and Edinburgh.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 09:52 BST (UK) »
I understand the difference between the records, but they've all disappeared from FamilySearch.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 09:56 BST (UK) »
Kirk session records have never been available on Family Search, only in some local archive offices and Edinburgh.

I've been able to view them at LDS Family History Centres, but not from home.  The last time I did so was in March this year.  Perhaps not all of them, but I could access Forgandenny records from the 1700s and 1800s, and Fetteresso from the 1800s.  I also looked at Rhynd records.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 10:07 BST (UK) »

I've been able to view them at LDS Family History Centres, but not from home.  The last time I did so was in March this year.  Perhaps not all of them, but I could access Forgandenny records from the 1700s and 1800s, and Fetteresso from the 1800s.  I also looked at Rhynd records.

Well, I'm sorry to say that even these have disappeared from the Catalogue in the past few hours, so there's no evidence even of the fiches they were on.

I was SO looking forward to these - it's over seven weeks since I could last access these and little did I know that might be the last time.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 11:11 BST (UK) »
Have you tried accessing via the catalogue place name search?

I’ve just tried for those places listed and they are there. Albeit with locked camera icon, so you alphabetical have to to go to an LDS library.
(Sorry about that autocorrect, just noticed it)

Eg

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/2770926?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 11:41 BST (UK) »

Have you been able to look at these records online via Family Search, or only at one of their centres?

They're still showing up on the catalogue, as Mckha489 says, with the locked icon.

Online access, as far as I knew, was only available in Edinburgh or at one of the various archive centres around Scotland. Fiche access was available at LDS centres in person, which is different. I'm assuming the LDS centres are closed at the moment.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 11:50 BST (UK) »
Have you been able to look at these records online via Family Search, or only at one of their centres?

They're still showing up on the catalogue, as Mckha489 says, with the locked icon.

Only at one of their centres.  But the link Mckha489 isn't showing any icons at all for me, not even the fiche/film one.  But I will bookmark those links.  Fingers crossed it's just some database update issue.