Author Topic: Newman marriages 1906  (Read 996 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Newman marriages 1906
« on: Friday 24 April 20 08:30 BST (UK) »
I came across the following entry in the FreeBMD indexes for June 1906 Winslow 3a 1675:

Haines Charles
Newman Lucy Ann
Newman Mary Kate
Smith Albert John

It generated these questions: What's the betting this is just a coincidence of names? What's the better bet that Lucy Ann and Mary Kate are sisters. Indeed in the family I am studying, Charles Newman and Rose Ann Cook did have two daughters with those names born in 1880 and 1885. The family lived in Gran(d)borough

Now, Mary Kate Newman did marry Albert John Smith. She had a son named Percy in 1907.
Then as Mary Kate Smith she married  Albert Norman in the Winslow District in 1920.

Next question: Where did Albert John Smith go? Casualty of WWI? Casualty of Spanish flu? With a name like that almost impossible to determine

The, who was Charles Haines? I can see four Haines / Newman births between 1919 and 1934 in Amesbury and Charles, now a widower, with the two named offspring, is in the 1939 Register (the other two are redacted).

If this is the Charles who married Lucy Ann Newman, I can't find a death certificate for her that would fit the dates.

I have the transcripts CD for Grandborough but it only goes as far as 1901. Are the Parish Registers for 1906 available anywhere to show whether they were sisters and indeed married on the same day?

One small entry in the indexes - a whole heap of extra questions. I guess the only other alternative would be the two marriage certificates but with the GRO seemingly in lockdown who knows how long that would take

Alan

Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newman marriages 1906
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 April 20 09:26 BST (UK) »
I found both couples in 1911 and both women were born in Grandborough, years of birth a bit out

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 April 20 10:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks, yes - found Lucy Ann in London in 1911. I must admit I'm getting a bit jaded by the amount of misinformation that was written in this particular census. Although Charles states that she was 34 at the time of the census the GRO indexes record her as Q2 1879

Still trying to determine what happened to her after the birth of child 4 in 1934 and the date of the 1939 Register when Charles is declared a widower

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 April 20 11:46 BST (UK) »
Still trying to determine what happened to her after the birth of child 4 in 1934 and the date of the 1939 Register when Charles is declared a widower

Are all the children living with Charles? 
Sorry you said they were.

If Lucy Ann was born 1879 then isn't 1934 too late for her to be having children  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 April 20 12:26 BST (UK) »
The 1939 Charles is not the same person as the one who married Lucy Ann Newman.

He was a Charles H. Haines who married a Dorothy M. Newman in 1917 Salisbury, Wiltshire.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 April 20 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hmm ... back to square one (and a half) methinks!

Now searching for both of them post - 1911

Alan

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 April 20 12:44 BST (UK) »
Lucy A Haines
aged 59 (b 1877)
Sept 1936
Ludlow

Probate
Haines Lucy Ann of Glencoe Terrace, Ludlow, Salop ( wife of Charles Haines) died 22 Sept 1936 Administration Shrewsbury 15 Oct to the said Charles Haines, Railway carriage & wagon examiner. Effects £105 10s 8d

Matches Charles occupation in 1911

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 April 20 13:20 BST (UK) »
Death
Charles Haines
aged 87 ( b1877)
Dec 1964
Ludlow
Probate
Haines Charles of 1 Glencoe Terrace, Station Drive, Ludlow, Shropshire died 9 November 1964 at Ludlow District Hospital. Probate Chester 22 January to Edith Lucy Haines spinster. Effects £ 1548
Birth
Edith L Haines
Dec 1917
Paddington
mmn Newman
GRO shows Edith Lucy

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 April 20 13:28 BST (UK) »
Many thanks - that sorts that

Alan