Author Topic: Can anybody find a marriage between Fanny Lucas & Henry Morgan?  (Read 1771 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Can anybody find a marriage between Fanny Lucas & Henry Morgan?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 April 20 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you. I had tracked nephew Henry and also his sister Amy back to the 1851 census where they are both living separately with relatives.  Henry Daniel is shown as nephew to Henry & Elizabeth Morgan.  Henry was b 1821 Carmarthenshire & Elizabeth in Gloucestershire so I ruled them out.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 April 20 19:12 BST (UK) »
It seems like Henry and Fanny had 2 more children before 1871 census - William Henry Morgan, of Clare street (same address as 1871 census), who was buried 12 Jul 1866 at Walton Park, Lancashire, England aged 2 (so born 1864).

GRO Index has    MORGAN, WILLIAM  HENRY     LUCAS 
born 1864  M Quarter in LIVERPOOL  Volume 08B  Page 261

And a John Henry Morgan of 24 Clare street who was buried aged 4 on 24 Jun 1866 at Walton Park. Born in 1862
MORGAN, JOHN  HENRY     LUCAS 
GRO Reference: 1862  J Quarter in LIVERPOOL  Volume 08B  Page 232

I wonder if Henry was Henry's second name, but so far I haven't managed to find a marriage. There is a William Henry Morgan marriage Sep 1862 in Liverpool 8b 148, with what looks like one bride missing in the list.

The only baptism I found for a John Henry Morgan is on 7 Dec 1862 at St James, Bristol, father John Henry Morgan a Porter and mother Elizabeth Morgan of Marlboro st.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 April 20 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sam

Re the 1862 marriage

Looking on LancsBMD - John Roberts married Dorothy Lloyd & William James Morgan married Mary Edwards which just leaves William Henry Morgan’s spouse

Nothing for him on LancsBMD or FamilySearch so I need to do a bit of “digging”.  I’ll be back!!
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 April 20 23:38 BST (UK) »
I have checked every Liverpool church on LancsOPC that has marriage transcriptions for the early 1860’s without success

I found a William H Morgan with wife Annie B living in Liverpool in 1871.  Neither born Liverpool.  One son William H aged 5 b Liverpool shows mmn Knowles but I can’t find a Morgan/Knowles marriage

On daughter Amy’s marriage cert he is just shown as Henry & also on son Henry’s (Harry).  1871 entry & his death reg are just Henry.  It’s puzzling why 2 of the entries on that 1862 marriage are on LancsBMD but not William Henry

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 May 20 07:20 BST (UK) »
I suspect, but may be wrong, that William Henry and William James are the same person.  It is possible that the entry has both names. 

Parish register image on Ancestry definitely shows the marriage is between William James Morgan and Mary Ann Edwards

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 May 20 13:45 BST (UK) »
One interesting thing, looking at the marriage entry for Fanny's daughter Amy Morgan in 1900, one witness was Fanny Lucas - who signed her name with with a mark. At this time Fanny (nee Lucas later supposedly Morgan) would have been married to Hugh McClement. Why would she sign her name as Lucas?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 May 20 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Sam

Wondered when that would come up  ;D  It's something that's been speculated &  discussed and we wondered if the witness was actually Fanny Morgan jnr.   No reason why Fanny snr would sign as Lucas having been married for 14yrs to Hugh McClement at that time

We don't know exactly when Fanny jnr she went to live in the IoM after her son John Henry's birth (1893) but we know she is on the 1901 IoM census

Did she go straight after John's birth but return for the wedding but want to keep her true identity secret?  We don't know.  There is some current speculation that she had another illegitimate child either in Liverpool or IoM - a daughter - but there is no way of proving that at the moment. 

We know she married in 1905 in the IoM and remained there until her death but had no children from that marriage

Her illegitimate son was brought up by her sister Amy & her husband John O'Dowd who only married in 1900 although shown as a married couple in 1891

I really don't think Fanny Lucas & Henry Morgan ever married - for whatever reason.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 May 20 16:54 BST (UK) »
I did wonder about it being Fanny Jnr, but thought she might have been able to write. Why go all the way to Liverpool was the other thing I wondered. If as it appars that they didn't marry, wouldn't moving to Bristol have been a good choice.

I did have a look at the Workhiuse records, in case there was something useful, but only came across Amy's entry, which I assume you must have.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 May 20 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Sam

Why Henry & Fanny moved to Liverpool from Monmouthshire is a mystery.  It's a long way with the advantages of todays transport let alone back in the 1860's. 

The 1871 has over 37,000 people of Welsh birth living in Lancashire of which almost 12,000 were in Liverpool.

My only other theory on why there was no marriage is that possibly Henry was already married before he & Fanny got together.     There are far too many Henry Morgan marriages between 1850 - 1860 to prove that theory.  Fanny Lucas was still in Monmouth in 1861