Author Topic: Looking for the passenger list of the ship Rangitiki leaving Sydney March 1946.  (Read 509 times)

Offline Mamac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
On board was a man named Texas Weston b 1900 and his wife Charlotte nee Wells and their 4 sons. A newspaper article https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/188432545?searchTerm=%22Texas%20Weston%22&searchLimits= stated that he was an American who arrived in Sydney in 1925, married Charlotte, who was from Tasmania and was about to embark on a world trip, taking in the UK and New York.

I cannot find a passenger list on subscription websites, so would appreciate any suggestions as to where else I might look.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the passenger list of the ship Rangitiki leaving Sydney March 1946.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 April 20 09:27 BST (UK) »
This is not my "field of expertise", so someone might come along with a better answer. I Googled "passenger list rangitiki sydney 1946" and found this.

The second paragraph on this page,
https://www.newzealandshipping.co.nz/History/Passenger/index.htm
says

"All ships carrying passengers in or out of any British port were required by law to lodge a passenger list with the relevant port authorities. Records for ship passengers travelling between 1890 and 1960 are available in the UK Board of Trade's collection of original passenger lists.
These can be seen at the Public Record Office in Kew, England.
More information is available at  ...[bad link] ...

but his link to the Public Record Office must be out of date. The current one can't be too hard to find.

----------
and a reference to the trip here:
"... Rangitiki, which left Sydney March 8th. This is thought by shipping companies to be a record consignment for any one passenger ship. The Rangitiki also carried almost 800 passengers, which is understood to be the largest complement of civilians to leave Australia since before the war. The vessel would also embark a further 80 passengers at Fremantle on March 15th,"

https://www.derbysulzers.com/shiprangitki.html

Offline Mamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the passenger list of the ship Rangitiki leaving Sydney March 1946.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 April 20 09:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help oldohiohome. I did visit the UK National Archives website and searched for the ship by name. There were a couple of entries but no passenger list for the Rangitiki. Supposedly I should find it from BT 26 and was directed from the UK Archives to a subscription website. I was not able to find the passenger list there either.

Edit added: I should state that I found the passenger list for the Rangitiki arriving in the UK in September of that year, but not from when it arrived in Southampton in April.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 April 20 10:03 BST (UK) »
It’s weird because the list for the Rangitiki arriving Southampton 22 September 1946 is on Ancestry, as well as other years. But not may/June 1946! 

Offline Mamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 April 20 10:09 BST (UK) »
That's the frustrating part Mckha489...

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 April 20 10:18 BST (UK) »
It docked Monday Sunday  April 14th,  there was a strike of tugboat crews, but it was able to dock without the aid of tugs.
Good fast trip. 

Added...and there was a heatwave in Aberdeen!

Correction, Sunday. The note was in Monday's paper.

Offline Mamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 April 20 10:23 BST (UK) »
Never heard of a heatwave in Scotland, EVER!

I think I'll have to contact the UK Archives and see if they can locate that particular passenger list. Hopefully I can obtain it that way.

Thank you for helping me Mckha489

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 April 20 10:34 BST (UK) »
It’s not on FamilySearch either
They go to 1939, then start at 1948!

Offline Mamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I've found it! Well at least I think I have on the National Archives of Australia website.
[Passenger Lists for vessels departing from Sydney] "Rangitiki" 8/3/1946 Series No. PP240/6
Control Symbol 74
Barcode No. 3192635
Location Item Perth
Access Status Open
I have requested a copy, so now I just have to wait. ;D