Author Topic: Stream to Port Costa  (Read 564 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Stream to Port Costa
« on: Saturday 25 April 20 12:56 BST (UK) »
Can someone please explain the term "stream to Port Costa" with reference to a sailing ship arrived at San Francisco in 1891 who went to Port Costa for loading wheat.  The same term was used when the loaded ship returned to San Francisco.   

Regards
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Stream to Port Costa
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 April 20 23:22 BST (UK) »
Is it definitely Stream and not Steam
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 April 20 23:46 BST (UK) »
The Stream seems to be a particular area of waterway:

"Gatherer to the Stream. The ship Columbia was taken to Main afreet and the barc McNear to Pacific. The ship Travencore ' was taken to the stream and the bark Portland to the channel. The ship Dowan Hill was taken to the stream, the ship Chrysomene to Wueatland and the bark: Sea King to Alameda and the ship H F Glade to the stream. . . To-day the bark Ravenscourt will be taken from Port Costa to the stream and the bktn Retriever from Vallejo to Vallejo Junction. The ship Spartan will be taken from the stream to Port Costa end the ship Fulwood from Wheatland to the stream."

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=SFC18950622.2.134&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN--------1
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 April 20 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole
Definitely 'stream' what little I have found to date suggests there are streams running into the waterway making it a tricky passage and I wondered if ships waiting in turn to be towed up river to the port for loading, but I've not come across an article stating that. 
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 April 20 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun
That is some extract you've transcribed; I have come to the same conclusion that it is associated with a particular waterway and I wondered if the sail ships were piloted or towed up river to Port Costa for loading, but not found such a report as yet.
Regards Roy

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 17:49 BST (UK) »
For interest I post an entry from the journal of Edwin Mitchell

January 26, 1866: "All hands turned to this morning at four o’clock to get the Ship ready to haul into the stream....at five a tug came and towed us into the stream where we lay until about one o’clock p.m. when two tugs came and towed us to sea....

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 May 20 04:32 BST (UK) »
I think that "in the stream" means generically anchored in a river or stream, awaiting access to port - I can see for example this law report of NY circa 1886 mentioning vessels and goods being kept "waiting in the stream" when a wharf was busy:
https://cite.case.law/f/29/184/

Here is a reference specifically mentioning tall ships "waiting in the stream" near Port Costa for their turn to unload:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pel/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 May 20 09:23 BST (UK) »
Jorose

Thanks for the link to "In Bristol Fashion" interesting read, especially page 83.

Regards, Roy