Author Topic: My German 4X Great Grandfather Nicholas "Buck" (Born c1809)  (Read 1032 times)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
My German 4X Great Grandfather Nicholas "Buck" (Born c1809)
« on: Saturday 25 April 20 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

My 4X great grandfather records his place of birth as Germany on Census records. He was born approx. 1809.

His name is most often recorded as Nicholas Buck. I wondered if this was an anglicised version of his name? Would it have been Bach or something similar?

His signature is on the marriage record, which I've attached to this post. I don't know if this helps to decipher the possible original version of his name or perhaps he's already signing with the anglicised version?

Is anyone familiar with German names from this period?

Thanks very much,
Glen
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: My German 4X Great Grandfather Nicholas "Buck" (Born c1809)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 April 20 14:21 BST (UK) »
Buck is listed as a German surname in Hans Bahlow's 'German Names'.

Here are two entries from Sugarbakers database showing its use ... maybe the second one is your Nicholas Buck ?

BUCK   Nicolaus   -   (Schüm-kocher)   (verh. HH-Jacobi)   Hamburg   1771   Contributor 55
BUCK   Nicholas   -   (age 49)   (13 Hooper Sq)   London   1861   1861 census RG9/272/22
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 April 20 14:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.
I don't think that's him, unfortunately.
I know that he was a Sugar Baker in the 1830s and 1840s (as per his childrens' baptisms and the 1841 Census), however in the 1851 and 1861 Census he's recorded as a Labourer. By the 1870s, he's a Tobacconist and Tobacco Cutter (as per his childrens' marriage records and the 1871 Census).
I've not looked into his occupations yet.
Would be great to find out which part of Germany he came from but proving difficult, for now.
Thanks again,
Glen  :)
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 April 20 19:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Glen ... interesting that he changed jobs frequently. I can only see him as a sugarbaker for the bpts of Henry James 1835 and James Henry 1841 with other occupations in between. The 1841 census reads Segar Maker (the variant spelling of cigar). I'll add an entry to the db to show those two bpts.

I've checked the 1861 entry on my db. It was transcribed many years ago from microfilm and I can now see it reads John Nicholas, even though he appears to have been Henry on the previous census !!
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 April 20 20:36 BST (UK) »
His signature is on the marriage record, which I've attached to this post. I don't know if this helps to decipher the possible original version of his name or perhaps he's already signing with the anglicised version?

Hi Glen,

Buck is indeed a surname in Germany.

I'm sitting here trying to see Nicholas in his signature. All I can see is Nochlochus or Nochlocheis???

Best regards,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 April 20 23:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your messages.

I'm sure I have other Sugar Bakers in the family tree! I'll have to go back and check.

Karen, I also sat staring, trying to make out Nicholas/Nicoklaus!

On one of the Census records, a place of birth is recorded that doesn't just say Germany, but it's impossible to make out what it says.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 April 20 02:35 BST (UK) »
There are a few German spellings for Nicholas:

Nickolaus, Nicolaus, Niklaus, Nickolas, Nikolaus

for surname distribution in Germany , the familysearch has a webpage which includes a couple of websites for Germany - I prefer the Stoepel website.

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Surname_Distribution_Maps

A baby's given name is the one next to its surname and the previous given names are donated by godparents/witnesses.

When a newly arrived German reads that the British census requires the FIRST given name and not the person's actual given name, you can see why it's often a reason for later family historians to scratch their heads and wonder what happened to our ancestors.

I was lucky with my German ancestors in that every branch followed the normal naming pattern that is often found in Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 April 20 07:09 BST (UK) »
On one of the Census records, a place of birth is recorded that doesn't just say Germany, but it's impossible to make out what it says.

Can you post a scan? We love "impossible" things here...   ;D
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 April 20 14:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the link Rena  :)

Hi Karen, it's the 1851 Census that is the only one to not say "Germany". Let me know what you think!  ??? :) Thanks for your help!

FYI:
In the 1841 Census, the "Foreign Parts" column is marked
1861 reads "Germany British Subject"
1871 "Germany"
1881 "Germany"