Author Topic: Holyrood Square, Edinburgh  (Read 905 times)

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Holyrood Square, Edinburgh
« on: Saturday 25 April 20 18:02 BST (UK) »
A number of my distant relatives lived at various homes in Holyrood Square, it no longer exists but I hope someone can tell me where it was. I have searched online and all I can find are a number of photos which suggest it was somewhere near Dumbiedykes but the 1913 map I have does not identify it. Holyrood Square was sort of infamous in the 1890-1920 period as the home of 'Daddy' Weddell who earned his nickname due to the number of children he fathered with his 3 wives. Including 15 children with my 1st cousin twice removed who was his second wife.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Holyrood Square, Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 April 20 18:40 BST (UK) »
Always worth looking at the NLS maps. It is showing on Bartholemew's Town Plans. It is just off Holyrood Road . Gasometers are marked nearby. it is also showing as not far from the High School Cricket Ground.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/109707806

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 April 20 18:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks William, I did look at some of those maps but not that particular one. The 1913 map I have a copy of does not even have Holyrood Road on it or rather it does but at that time it was called South Back of Canongate. The next time I'm in Edinburgh I will make a point of having a walk around that area.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 April 20 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Crumblie

You mention you have come across some photos of Holyrood Square.

Have you seen this series of photos and recollections of Holyrood Square?

www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_street_h/0_street_views_-_holyrood_square_children.htm#03_dave_malcolm

Some references and photos connected to 'Daddy' Weddell and family.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 April 20 08:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, Thanks you for the photo link I had not seen those but I did look at others on the same site. What really stands out to me is just how small the homes seem to be, on the 1911 census there is 6 children living at No 8 Holyrood Square with my distant cousin and her husband. In the first 9 years of marriage they had 8 children with two sadly dying, they then had a further 4. All of this in a home with only two rooms that had windows and they were probably the only rooms they had. One of the later children died just a few months old of accidental scalding and I wonder if that was due to the size of their rooms. When my cousin died at 42 the cause was peritonitis thought to be due an appendiciitis but I wonder if exhaustion from bringing up so many children may have been a factor.

I know large families at that time were a consequence of little contraception but 12 with one wife is just ridiculous.

Stuart