Author Topic: Diary < Saturday 25 April  (Read 1817 times)

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary < Saturday 25 April
« on: Saturday 25 April 20 20:57 BST (UK) »
A really restless night last night, I don't really know why.  Continuing with usual morning routine- and another belter of a day here.  Park emptier than usual which surprised me. The trees really are coming out beautifully but the pollen! Oh my!  I can see that hayfever is going to be a real issue for the coming days.

Some washing and chores to do and then to town to get some 'essentials'  It's such a palaver these days.  On my walk to the shops people are leaping out of my way.  On the way back with heavy shopping in my trolley people are expecting me to move into the road. None of these scenarios is ideal.

Made a few phone calls I've been putting off, one to my Aunt.  There is only one topic of conversation these days and one which we differ greatly over. This is one of the reasons I really hate to ring her. Anyway I've made the call and can now rest easy. 

Had a late lunch and the 'eagle' returned!  It didn't stay long as it was harassed by a pair of crows.  Enjoyed a rest in the sunshine for quite some time...... and finally came inside to answer some emails.

Got tea sorted - a kind of pasta bolognese today and shortly heading for telly to see what wonders are on offer this evening!

Hope all well with everyone - I continue to be very weary of the situation.  Much more traffic on the roads today.  Boris will be hard pushed to put us all back in our boxes soon!

Stay safe!
CD

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary < Saturday 25 April
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 April 20 21:34 BST (UK) »
Was so tired when I went to bed last night I could hardly keep my eyes open. No idea why, I did very little yesterday. Perhaps it's all the fresh air I've been getting.

Started off cloudy today, the sun was just breaking through when I went for my walk late morning. Don't know whether it was the weather but there were less people on the field and I was very pleased to be able to do several lengths of the path through the woods before people started appearing. I was also out for a bit longer.

After lunch I rang my friend whose husband died, we had a long conversation and I was pleased to hear that she had everything organised and was calm and relatively cheerful. The card I'd had sent to her by an online company had arrived, along with numerous others. I hated that I couldn't send her one with my own writing and more space to write things but she understood and was pleased to get it.

I then rang my friend whose daughter has coronavirus, she hasn't yet recovered, I very much hope she gets better soon. A large part of the day had gone but it was good to talk to my friends.

Got my chair out and sat out in the sun again reading my Kindle. Haven't done much again, just some washing and making my meals. There's some rain forecast later tomorrow so maybe I'll get some housework done then.

River Tyne Lass hasn't been on Rootschat for a few days, I do hope she's okay.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 April 20 21:43 BST (UK) »
River Tyne Lass hasn't been on Rootschat for a few days, I do hope she's okay.

RTL works quite a difficult shift pattern and because of this often goes ‘missing’ for a few days  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 April 20 21:45 BST (UK) »
Aah, that's okay, thank you JenB.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Corryn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 April 20 22:39 BST (UK) »
Thought I'd join in and tell you about my very day.
Up at 6:30 because I promised eldest son I would take him up the yard to see the new foal.  Left the house at 7:30. Sun was warm and not many people about. When we got there he was more interested in his horse, Sergei (he named him after the  meerkat on the TV adverts.) Went off then to see the foal. It is to be registered as Pontfaen Lockdown, no stable name yet the wife is open to suggestions.  Turned out the horses that are on full livery, mucked while son saw to his horse. Sat in the sun for a while then put poles out for him to take Sergei over them. Helmet and body armour on off he went while I kept an eye on him. Made our way home more people out some in groups, seems that they think they're immune even after two local deaths.
Lunch when we got home. Quiet afternoon and then my birthday tea. Mum looked after the boys while me and the wife went back up the yard. Sorted everything out in extra quick time then back home.  Don't feel tired now so a bit of TV.
Take care and stay safe all.

Corryn
Webb: Shropshire, Glamorgan
Cole: Shropshire, Glamorgan
Sockett/Socket: Shropshire, Herefordshire
Corbett/Corbet/Corbitt: Shropshire
Worral: Shropshire
Moss: Shropshire

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 April 20 00:00 BST (UK) »
Slept like a log last night... could be because I'd slept so badly the previous night...
Weather was dull and cloudy, it makes such a difference to ones outlook too and the garden looked dull ...
Usual breakfast... cereal, fruit and yogurt...
Didn't feel too brilliant have devoloped tooth ache which started yesterday afternoon and have taken some paracetamol to dull ache... just what I need st the moment..
Sat and finished my book as it's got to go back to the library... that's the ebook library I use very good just like borrowing books from the normal library..
OH had his Saturday morning Zoom with his golf buddies... good for him to have some male chatter, he's not been out, apart from walks and bike rides since we were told to stay in... I at least have been to shop so get away from four walls...
Had usual lunch..
Sun out and sky blue by now so we decided we needed a walk to shake off that lethargic feeling..
Today we decided to do a longer walk so we did 6 miles round the fields and the two small hamlets and home.. not done it for a while and it was lovely to see the trees all in leaf, mayflower out and bluebells... next time we'll walk through the woods to see the bluebell carpet. Not too many card around today seemed much quieter.
We both felt much better and had a well deserved cuppa..
Just sat down when daughter messaged to see if we wanted a Zoom with them...
So lovely to see them, even if we can't give them a hug..
They all seem happy which is a relief and daughter relaxed and smiling which is great as she does suffer with stress... SiL looks very tired though, his job very demanding and not much relief with schooling boys too between them. Boys flitted in and out showing us bits they'd made etc...
Off for a shower so as not to seize up
OH BBQ steaks ... I love this time of the year as he enjoys cooking outside and we have lots of lovely salads... looking forward to eating our own vegs in coming months..
Watched some tv... lovely programme on Matisse.

Another day gone by... hope this tooth ache doesn't get any worse as not sure what I'll do... try the dentists on Monday... not sure if they're open though.

Take care all... Viktoria hope your gout improves soon for you

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 April 20 09:02 BST (UK) »
Not sure where Saturday went  ???   I was cold when I got up and stayed cold most of the morning.  Did a quick early trip to farm shop, lovely fresh veg and the best new potatoes we’ve eaten for a long time.  Only two people in the shop, front and back doors open, fresh air blowing through so was a quite relaxing shop.
Managed to change the buttons on my jacket but by lunch time I felt exhausted, had a bit of lunch and fell asleep 💤 woke two hours later. 
Salmon with new potatoes, broccoli and lovely tender green beans for tea. Watched a bit of rubbish telly and bed by 10, read for a bit and was comatose by 10.30.
Oh, and great result which cheered me up. The little shop in the next village, where I always buy my bread managed to get me a bag of self raising flour. 
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 April 20 09:57 BST (UK) »
Well survived my shift at work.

Got mask fit tested by a dessert rat (solider not the animal obviously).  Maybe that means I can say I survived an army training session since you have to excercise during it.

Had a flat tyre in the morning, luckily my colleague had a pump I could borrow.  I had worried the beach would be busy on my way home but only saw a couple of people so felt a bit better after the parties the night before.

Was too tired to be good for much when I got home, had the TV on but couldn't follow what was happening.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Sunday 26thApril
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 April 20 11:08 BST (UK) »
Well despite very hot bath and pretty achey and stiff.

I knew it! As soon as I get the garden parasol out it rains,always the same!
However not much it would seem and needed.

Made a strawberry jelly last night, not much in by way of desserts ,usually have yogurts in but not now.
I have evaporated milk and enough milk for custard,so we or I will see.
Have a tin  of pineapple rings but a ham coming from Tesco on May 5 th and I may not be able to get another if I use it now.

Well hair not too bad ,but then I am not going anywhere and no one here to see me .

Some housework today I think ,been outside so much.
I also think I will eat my main meal earlier today so the kitchen is all tidy this evening  so I don’t miss Country File and Antiques Roadshow.

Must phone Shropshire to make sure all is alright there.
The carers have been stopped by the family as of course they go from one person to another. The person I am concerned about has asthma and has just got over pneumonia at 92 (in May   )
I lived with her and her parents as an evacuee and was most kindly treated and have never lost contact.       

My daughter has a horse, but does not go to see him( full livery) as the stable owners are too cavalier about visitors and social distancing etc .
He will think he has been abandoned, huge 17 hand Irish hunter,but such a wimp! Won’t pass a plastic bag in a hedge! My son in law has to walk in front of him at a certain place and the horse hides his head in s in l’s back.
Not sure what happened to make the horse spook at that point ,in the distant past. A gentle giant though.

Quite sunny  but not blazing like yesterday,must feed the fish.
They come to the edge of the pond when I tap,a raised pond as the tiddler GGrandson came every weekend when I had it made so for his safety but of course no frogs etc can get in much to my regret.

Spoke to my neighbour’s daughter re the phone problems and seemingly her hearing aid is not so good on the side she prefers to use,so when she realises and swaps the phone to her good ear  it is O.K
BUT- will she remember- and if not she won’t hear me telling her to put the phone to her good ear. Oh it all makes life interesting .
I usually bake and give her some and neighbour next but one who has my keys etc ,but you can’t do it now and observe all the rules.
Well folks another neighbour has a grandad 90’s who has survived a recent fall and fractured pelvis only to show C.V. Symptoms ,whilst still in hospital.
She is greatly upset as he has not had visitors now for about two weeks.
Some measure of Dementia but also some lucid times when he gets upset no one is visiting him.Was used to daily visits in his care home  from children and grandchildren.
Must have been bad news yesterday as she passed me where I was weeding and said she was going for a walk.Hubby in garden all afternoon with kiddies.Mind you she has been very conscientious re daily schoolwork so needed a break anyway I an sure.
What a pity .
Annoyed as I made a big batch of basic sauce ,can be adapted to spag bol or chilli, only to see in a tiny corner of the label,white on purple/pink background  that  it must not be reheated.
It is a vegetarian option ,so onions,tinned tomatoes, passata, tomato paste ,herbs ,stock  cubes,wine etcetc all wasted.
Also of course you cannot refreeze it so I chased the darn stuff all round the kitchen ,wrapped in tea towels trying to halve the block !
Half still frozen in freezer but not worth the trouble really.
It was like a Charlie Chaplin film.
It would have been better had I  just done a meatless sauce .
We live and learn.
Cheerio folks ,another sunny day .
Viktoria.