Author Topic: Where might this be?  (Read 1986 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Where might this be?
« on: Sunday 26 April 20 00:20 BST (UK) »
This place of birth is taken from the 1861 census in Amble, Northumberland for Janet Richardson (nee Scott).  Ancestry have transcribed it as Briglands, FindMyPast have made no attempt at all and I’m struggling to find any location which might fit.

Does anyone have any idea, please?

Christine

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where might this be?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 20 01:07 BST (UK) »
possibly Balfron, Stirlingshire, Scotland, badly spelt phonetically ???
see here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPLW-ZPF2
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 April 20 01:18 BST (UK) »
It does rather look like Briglands.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 April 20 02:42 BST (UK) »
There's a listed 18C house called Briglands which is in Fossoway, Perth and Kinross.  May have been an estate there and that was where Janet was born.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 April 20 03:11 BST (UK) »
Do you know whereabouts in Scotland Janet’s husband or older children were born? (in case the couple both came from the same area)

Where did Janet and James marry? (in case they married in the bride’s parish)

Any answers may give you a place to start to search, though I am sure you have probably considered all of the above suggestions.

I think the place name is written as Briglands, but may be the enumerator’s interpretation.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 April 20 03:24 BST (UK) »
Depending on how it was pronounced, there is this variation (and fairly close to Northumberland):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgelands

https://maps.nls.uk/view/75674497

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 April 20 09:03 BST (UK) »
I would agree that it says Scotland Briglands. I would start looking for her in Kinross.
https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/search/results?st=Briglands
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 April 20 09:15 BST (UK) »
Check out Scotlandspeople. They have a couple of Janet Scotts born in Fife around the right timeframe. One of them about 12 miles from Briglands.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 April 20 10:15 BST (UK) »
There are no records of baptisms of any Scotts at all at any time in the parish of Fossoway, and since the greatest dimension of the parish of Fossoway is 11 miles, anywhere 12 miles from Briglands could not be in Fossoway.

There's also a Bridgelands or Briglands in Selkirkshire and a Brigland in the parish of Mauchline, Ayrshire.

James Richardson and Janet Scott had
Janet, baptised 23 February 1823, Ednam (Roxburghshire)
Robert, baptised 26 August 1829, Edinburgh St Cuthberts
John Sinclair, baptised 6 July 1831, Edinburgh St Cuthberts
Helen, born 15 January 1834, Edinburgh
Isabella, born 6 June 1836, Edinburgh
Mary Ann, born 8 May 1838, Edinburgh

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.