Author Topic: Where might this be?  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where might this be?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 April 20 10:50 BST (UK) »
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 April 20 11:04 BST (UK) »
That is indeed Briglands in the parish of Fossoway.
See also this map http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NT0299 and
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=56.17929&lon=-3.57311&layers=6&b=1

Whether this Briglands is or in not the correct place is open to question.
There are also http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NT4830 and
http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NS5128
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 April 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
I have followed these people from their daughter Mary Ann who consistently gives her place of birth as Edinburgh and names her father as James when she married.

There are 4 potential siblings in Edinburgh (names provided by Forfarian), two of whom died there in infancy, so I can place them in that area between 1829 and 1838.  Before 1829 there does not seem to be any sign of them there but James was an Ag Lab so probably moved around a lot.  I haven’t been able to link Janet born Ednam 1823 to them yet but she is on my list.

James died in 1856 and is buried in Warkworth, Northumberland.

The family were in England by 1841 so most census records simply give Scotland as place of birth.  This clue on the 1861 for Janet is the only possible lead I have.

Also this is not my family.  I am researching for a friend who can no longer see well enough to do her own research.  We met on a genealogy course about 20 years ago when online research was very limited so this part of her family was left unexplored.  I am trying not to play fast and loose with her cash so am hoping to be reasonably certain before I use up SP credits.

Thank you all for your suggestions and guidance.  I will now follow them  up and see where they lead.

Christine

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 April 20 13:08 BST (UK) »
This may be a fairly wild long shot, but in the Wikipedia article on Bridgelands found by Ruskie (Reply #4 above), it says that the wife of Sir Henry Raeburn was from Bridgelands, Selkirk.

She was Ann Edgar, daughter of daughter of Peter Edgar of Bridgelands, and widow of James Leslie of Deanhaugh.

Here's the long shot, or maybe it's just a weird coincidence. Sir William Slater Brown (1845-1917), Lord Provost of Edinburgh, was the son of Henry Raeburn Brown (1806/7-1852) who lived in Stockbridge. I assume that Henry was named after Sir Henry Raeburn, who also lived in Stockbridge at that time.

After a lot of research, I still haven't found a baptism of Henry Raeburn Brown, but I think his parents may have been James Brown and Janet Richardson. Also that the family may have had connections to Duns, because one article about Sir William said that he was born in Duns.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 April 20 14:34 BST (UK) »
Never underestimate a long shot  ;D

It looks like I'm going to be busy this evening

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 April 20 15:19 BST (UK) »
This is a previous thread about Henry Raeburn Brown.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=319429.0

My reasoning about his parentage is a bit tortuous, but I'll try to explain.

From the 1841 census at Church Lane, Edinburgh St Stephen's 1841/685/1/143/12
Henry Brown        30 Tailor                      Midlothian
Janet Brown         70                              Scotland not Midlothian
Ann Willson          35                              Midlothian
Janet Willson       14                               Midlothian
Agnes Willson      12                               Scotland not Midlothian
George Willson   10                                Scotland not Midlothian

Ann Wilson was the daughter of James Brown, gamekeeper. She married George Wilson: 1826, 23rd January. George Wilson, Blacksmith, residing in No 3 Dean Street, Stockbridge and Ann Brown, residing in Allan Street, Stockbridge, both in this parish, daughter of James Brown, Gamekeeper there, have been three times proclaimed in order to marriage in the parish church of St Cuthbert's, and no objections have been offered. Married on the twenty-seventh current by the Reverend Dr David Dickson one of the ministers of this parish. [Edinburgh St Cuthbert's Parish Register]

George Wilson and Ann Brown had Janet, born 7 November 1826 in Edinburgh St Cuthbert's, and George, baptised 10 April 1831 in Dysart, Fife.

I haven't found a baptism for Ann Brown, but there is a baptism of Robert Brown: 1808. Born March 7. James Brown Grange Gardens and Janet Richardson his spouse A Son Robert, Baptised April 19. Witnesses Family. [Register of Baptisms James Place Edinburgh]

Henry Raeburn Brown married in 1843: 2d January 1843. Henry Raeburn Brown Tailor residing in no 10 Church Street Stockbridge and Helen Clyde residing in same place both in this parish, daughter of James Clyde coachman residing in Rose Street have been three several times duly and regularly proclaimed in order to marriage in the parish church of St Cuthberts and no objections offered. Married this day by the Reverend John Bruce, one of the Ministers of the parish of St Andrews Edinburgh. [Edinburgh St Cuthberts Register of Marriages]

Henry's children were James, William Slater, Helen, Janet Richardson, Henry and John.

So putting it all together it seems to me likely that James Brown, gamekeeper, and Janet Richardson must have been the parents of Henry Raeburn Brown, tailor; Ann Brown or Wilson; and Robert Brown. However Henry died before the start of civil registration and I have not found the deaths of either Ann or Robert.

Offline Chawi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 July 23 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Forfarian, are you any further forward or have you declared this a brick wall?

My husband recently had a DNA test & Im busy working my way through the connections & a 3rd cousin led me right back to the Henry Raeburn mystery. I have a wild theory to throw out if anyone would like to hear it?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 July 23 14:07 BST (UK) »
To be perfectly honest I have not done any more on these Browns. My mother's sister married a later William Slater Brown, and I was helping my cousin trace his paternal side. He has since died, and I haven't pursued the family further.

I would love to hear your wild theory.

Offline Chawi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 July 23 16:08 BST (UK) »
Just a quick one, are you referring to Jeremy whose father William was an MD? If yes, you are definitely family!

I will launch into my wild theory this evening when I have some time.