Author Topic: Access to Times digital archive through National Library of NZ  (Read 807 times)

Offline Liza115

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Access to Times digital archive through National Library of NZ
« on: Sunday 26 April 20 01:46 BST (UK) »
After finding that my local library is providing access to ancestry.com library edition during NZ's lockdown, I went to the National Library of New Zealand website, to see if maybe they were making available other e-resources I have used in person there.
I was hoping to find free access to British Newspaper Archives, my first choice, but alas, no. However, they do offer remote access during lockdown to the Times digital archive and Telegraph historical archive. The Times has been useful in the past, but I haven't looked at it much lately.
The website says you need to contact the National Library for a password to get access. I have emailed them with this request, but so far have only been sent the two URLs (for Times and Telegraph link access) where I need to submit a password.
Has anyone managed to access these resources remotely through the natlib.govt.nz site?
If so, how did you do it?
Liza115   
Palfrey - Radnorshire, Wales
Odell - Ontario, Canada
Gilmour - Newton Mearns, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Hare - Ipswich, Suffolk, England and Limerick, Ireland
Price - Antrim, Down, (now Northern) Ireland
Freeman - Waterford and Tramore, Ireland
Taylor - Taunton, Somerset, England
Helyar - Clifton, Bristol, England

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Access to Times digital archive through National Library of NZ
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 20 09:29 BST (UK) »
Try checking to see if your library will give you free access to Findmypast during lockdown. The BNA records are available on FindMyPast.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Liza115

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 April 20 13:07 BST (UK) »
Craclyn, unfortunately my local library doesn't have a subscription to findmypast. It was a good thought, though.
Really I was just looking at what was being made freely available at a distance that is usually subscriber only. Also feeling a bit frustrated that I haven't been able to work out how to use the access that the National Library has offered. Maybe my third email to them asking for assistance will get a useful response. I live in hope!
Palfrey - Radnorshire, Wales
Odell - Ontario, Canada
Gilmour - Newton Mearns, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Hare - Ipswich, Suffolk, England and Limerick, Ireland
Price - Antrim, Down, (now Northern) Ireland
Freeman - Waterford and Tramore, Ireland
Taylor - Taunton, Somerset, England
Helyar - Clifton, Bristol, England

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 April 20 13:34 BST (UK) »
I think Findmypast has reduced search options for the BNA, and probably degraded images as well.

Until the end of this month you can buy a year's subscription to the BNA for £56, a saving of 30%.  I'm still debating whether to take up the offer.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 April 20 13:43 BST (UK) »
Surely as BNA & FindMyPast images are both under the FindMyPast banner the images should be the same.  :-\

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
At the bottom of that page
2020 Findmypast Newspaper Archive Limited - Proudly presented by Findmypast in partnership with the British Library

I think at one point the images were always on BNA before F M P  but not sure if this is still true.

As for library access to the Times, in the UK we go in via our library website and then use our library card number to access the newspaper
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 April 20 14:50 BST (UK) »
I am in NSW Australia and I know that at least here in NSW that many of the Universities have had online access to those historic  newspapers for their students for many years...  Perhaps your NZ Unis have similar access ...Fingers crossed you will know a rellie who is a current student.  :)

The e-resources at both the NSW State Library in Sydney and the National Library  in Canberra also provide no charge access to the 'Gale' historic newspapers, but you need to qualify residentially for those Library cards...  Do you have rellies across the Tasman over here?  :)

Fingers crossed you will have NZ National Library response very soon.  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 April 20 15:08 BST (UK) »
The eresources that you can access with a password are here and includes the British Library Newspapers.

https://natlib.govt.nz/collections/a-z/subscription-e-resources

You will just have to keep on asking for a password, perhaps include the link to that page so they know what you are talking about.

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 April 20 15:17 BST (UK) »
Aghhhh...

If you keep scrolling through the link Debra has given,  way past the BNA password option,  .... keep scrolling,  scroll a tad more .... there is possibly just the one you want,  without needing a password from the library.  ADD ... you use your email and you decide on a unique password for your access to that site.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 April 20 22:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your post JM.

What a great list of resourses, and an easy on the eye presentation. Trust a Aussie to know of it.

I was about to advise that they can be accessed through membership of our Genealogy Society.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.