Author Topic: Access to Times digital archive through National Library of NZ  (Read 800 times)

Offline Liza115

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Access to Times digital archive through National Library of NZ
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 April 20 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Thanks for putting your minds to work for me on this one. I already had a login for the National library of NZ, so I can log in to the library site, but when I get to the URL that Debra posted, it asks for a password and won't accept mine, so there must be another step I have missed.
I think I got off on the wrong foot by sending my first request for a password from a different email address than the one I have registered at the library.
I will be patient today, since it is officially a long weekend, and all those working from home will be at home but not working. I hope to communicate with the library more satisfactorily tomorrow.
Thanks for your ideas.
Liza115

Palfrey - Radnorshire, Wales
Odell - Ontario, Canada
Gilmour - Newton Mearns, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Hare - Ipswich, Suffolk, England and Limerick, Ireland
Price - Antrim, Down, (now Northern) Ireland
Freeman - Waterford and Tramore, Ireland
Taylor - Taunton, Somerset, England
Helyar - Clifton, Bristol, England

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Liza, did you solve this?

After your post I applied for a password to Prover which I have received this morning, but it doesn’t work.

And my brother who also applied has received the email implying they have given him a password, but there is no password!

Offline Liza115

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Mckha489
Yes, the response to my (third) email included a password from the National Library, which let me into the sites.
I think part of the problem is that when you get a reply from them, it says not to reply to it, but to use a link through their contacts page. I ended up having correspondence with three different people. Here's how I would do it, knowing what I know now:
1. Email the national library at the 'information' address. This is at the top of the page with the links to all the e-resources. If you already have a reader card, quote the number on it and the email address associated with it. Use the email associated with your reader card. They will check to make sure you are registered and should then provide a password.
2. If you have not registered with them before (you do not have a reader card), you have to register online and then email them to ask for a password. Tell them you have registered and supply them with your user name. Use the email associated with your registration.
3. If their first response doesn't provide a password, quote the reference number of their reply in the subject line when you try again, so they can see that they didn't provide a password, and ask again, politely, for a password.
4. Use the password they provide to get access to the site.
Be patient. They are working from home after all, and it's harder to stay in the loop.

What is Prover? Is it an identification verifier like the NZ government's RealMe system?
It sounds like this remote access is going to be temporary, just during lockdown.
Good luck!

Palfrey - Radnorshire, Wales
Odell - Ontario, Canada
Gilmour - Newton Mearns, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Hare - Ipswich, Suffolk, England and Limerick, Ireland
Price - Antrim, Down, (now Northern) Ireland
Freeman - Waterford and Tramore, Ireland
Taylor - Taunton, Somerset, England
Helyar - Clifton, Bristol, England

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate