Author Topic: Records of seamen on Shields Collier Ships 1804  (Read 844 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Records of seamen on Shields Collier Ships 1804
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Richard,

I'm thinking that perhaps the book that River Tyne Lass refers to is "Dictionary of Tyne Sailing Ships" by Richard Keys. I took a look in it for you. There is no entry there for a Newcastle collier RAMILIES but that's probably because 1804 is a bit early for the scope of this volume. There are several Burnetts named, later in the 1800's as masters or owners and shareholders of Tyne-registered vessels. Thomas, John, Jonathan and Jacob Burnett are all described as Newcastle merchants. That Thomas or another of the same name is shown as a master in both 1819 and 1821. If any of these are in your family line, I'll be happy to go back and copy out the entries.

Northumberland Durham Family History Society (NDFHS) does have in their online For Sale catalogue some records on microfiche of earlier Tyne vessels. I believe there are also copies of those available to view in their office and library - can't remember the address - Percy Street, I think.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Westhoe

Thanks for the info you obtained from the Dictionary of Tyne Sailing Ships. I may have to check out the NDFHS and their library for advice on crew lists of ships before the scope of Richard Keys' book.

Its intersting that you discovered other Burnetts as Newcastle merchants, or masters or shareholders of vessels. I often wondered how Thomas came to be in the North East when he is supposed to have been from Montrose. Maybe his family moved to Newcastle and that is how he began his his naval career from there. This will spark another line for research for me of Burnett families based in or around Newcastle around the late 1700s early 1800s.

Any information you could obtain concerning the Burnetts you mentioned may help me with this and would be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 May 20 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Richard,

Many apologies for the long silence. Please don't think ill of me. No, I haven't forgotten you or what I offered.

I do not have a personal computer, usually use the public terminals at the library, but they have all been closed for weeks now, so only get brief access when visiting family in the city but I can't bring that book here. I *will* eventually get you that information but I don't know when.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 May 20 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Westhoe

Thanks for your message. I appreicate that we all have busy lives even with the effects of the lockdown. I would appreciate any information about Burnetts in and around Newcastle that you are able to find out whenever that might be.

Best wishes

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts