Author Topic: Johnny Babchuck - 8th Army(Desert Rats)11th Armoured Brigade,Royal Signal Corp.  (Read 216 times)

Offline Francesanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Archibald Gilchrist - My Grandfather
    • View Profile
Hi,
I'm having zero success tracing the war records for a very close family friend who died many decades ago.He was a radio operator and an El Alemein Veteran. Johnny was born 26th May 1920/1. I've been trying to do his family tree as a tribute to his memory. He never married and had no children. His mother was Helen Babchuck (nee Kirk) and born in Ayrshire Scotland. I'm having very little success in tracing his birth records. I suspect he could have been born in America. His mother moved out there very briefly to join her husband but returned the following year without her husband.With his unusual surname, I thought it would be easy to track down his war records but sadly not worked out that way. Very frustrating. Would me very grateful for any help or advice.
Foxall - Fenton, Staffs.
Gilchrist - St.John Canada - Paddington,London
Grubb - Thanet, Kent

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
British Army WW2 records are not online. You can apply to the MOD for a copy but it will cost you £30, and you would need to provide a copy of his death certificate.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Francesanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Archibald Gilchrist - My Grandfather
    • View Profile
Many thanks for that information. I've checked out our friends names on Forces War Records etc., without any success.  Thought with such an unusual name I'd find some trace. Thanks again for your help.
Foxall - Fenton, Staffs.
Gilchrist - St.John Canada - Paddington,London
Grubb - Thanet, Kent