Author Topic: Nicol family in Arbroath and area.  (Read 498 times)

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
Nicol family in Arbroath and area.
« on: Monday 27 April 20 04:38 BST (UK) »
Am looking for information on a James Nicol b. before 1738 possibly in Carymillia, Angus?
This is what I have:
Jessie Nicol b. 1851 to Alexander Nicol and Isabelle Shand Nicol
Alexander Nicol b. 1838 to David Griffith Nicol.
David Griffith Nicol b. to Gryphin Nicol 1769 and his father being
perhaps a John or James Nicol b. before 1738.  Am looking for this man.
I show him married to a Christina Wear but unsure of this.  John or James appeared to have 2 or 3 wives but unsure of that as there could have been two of them.

My Great Greatmother Jessie Nicol married a Hird/Herd and came to Canada in 1872.  I know that David Griffith Nicol was buried in the large cemetery in Stl Vigians by his father Gryphin Nicol from the graveyard there.  Can anyone shed any light on this family? 
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Nicol family in Arbroath and area.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 April 20 09:38 BST (UK) »
Carymillia, Angus?
That will be Carmyllie, which is a parish north of the parishes of Arbroath, St Vigeans and Arbirlot.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 April 20 13:12 BST (UK) »
I presume you have seen this index entry on Scotland's People? This is for a baby baptised with the name Gyphin Nicol in 1737 child of James Nicol.

NICOL
GRYPHIN
JAMES NICOL/
U
10/07/1737
276/
10 82
Carmyllie

There are other children born to a James Nicol in Carmyllie around the same time. They are not necessarily the same family, but sometimes in OPR records the place of residence is shown. If you purchase the records you might be able to see if the place of residence is the same throughout these baptisms, which normally indicates the same person and family.

Here are the others;

David Nicol 1739
Henry Nicol 1739
(Above were baptised on the same day)
Alexander Nicol 1744
Helen Nicol 1744
(Above two were baptised on the same day)
John 1749
(Son of James Nicol and Christian Wear)

I'm not finding any record of an OPR marriage of James Nicol and Christina Wear unfortunately. Quite an unusual first name in Gryphin in Scotland. Perhaps a surname from James or Christian's parents?

Possible baptism of James. There are no definates at this time unfortunately.

NICOL
JAMES
JOHN NICOL/
M
23/02/1722
276/
10 79
Carmyllie
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 21:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much to both of you for replying.  This is an old file and have been looking for years for a lead on this John Nicol.  Yes am a member of Scotland's People but think I got the info from another place - maybe Family Tree?  I keep checking as am hoping there is more information coming forward.

THANK YOU
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa