Author Topic: William PAXSON - St Mary's MARSH GIBBON  (Read 837 times)

Offline RipleyAnne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William PAXSON - St Mary's MARSH GIBBON
« on: Monday 27 April 20 05:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Many family trees give the baptism of my 8x great-grandfather, William PAXSON (son of James and Jane PAXSON/PAXTON), as 21st December 1648 at St Mary's Church, Marsh Gibbon. (another 6 siblings also recorded in the same church).

I can't find any of these baptisms on the usual on-line databases.

Can anyone suggest where I might look (bearing in mind that I live in Australia) to locate the baptism record of William?
Many thanks.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Re: William PAXSON - St Mary's MARSH GIBBON
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 18:17 BST (UK) »
Find My Past will possibly have transcripts for Marsh Gibbon, or BucksFHS can do you a look up for a small fee.

It doesn't seem to appear on the Ancestry web site, in their limited collection of Bucks transcripts.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 19:01 BST (UK) »
Nothing on FindMyPast either although they do say they have Marsh Gibbon baptisms starting from 1600. Possibly they don't have them all.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline RipleyAnne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 02:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks emeltom and bucksboy,
I have looked on FindMyPast abd, as you say emeltom, there is nothing there.

Thanks for trying :)

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 05:18 BST (UK) »
In Family Search there are some christenings of children of William and James Paxon or Paxton in Marsh Gibbon in the 1670s, but nothing in the 1640s. There is only a christening of William Paxon, in 1659, son of Timothy and Susanna, in Thornborough, about ten miles away.

There is this, in The Minute Book of the Monthly Meeting of the Society of Friends, for 1681/2:

James Stevens acquainting the Meeting, yt James Paxon and William Paxon, both of Marsh Gibborn in the County of Buck Labourers and John Martin of Edgcott in ye said County Carpenter, intending to transport themselves and Families to Pensylvania in America, did severally desire a Certificate from this Meeting concerning their orderly Walking here, for the satisfaction of Friends there or elswhere where it may be their lott to come. The Meeting did therupon appoint ye said James Stevens, wth Thomas Olliffe & Alexander Merret, to make inquiry concerning ye said James Paxon, William Paxon, John Martin and Elizabeth his wife, & give an Account therof at the next Meeting.

http://www.bucksrecsoc.org.uk/BRS-VOLUMES/brs-vol-01.pdf

Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline RipleyAnne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 06:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Vance.

I'll have a close look at this as I believe this is 'my' William and his brother. There were two other brothers, Henry and Thomas, who also left to travel to Pennsylvania. Thomas died on the journey along with Henry's wife and two of his children.

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 07:07 BST (UK) »
In the same book there's a note with Henry Paxon:

By Friends of Lowerside Monthly Meeting. She (Mary Bonum of North Marston) had been maidservant to Henry Paxon, and had removed to the Upperside district in June 1682.
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline RipleyAnne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 07:14 BST (UK) »
I've found the first record you mentioned. Great! Thanks!

I have been browsing and it's very interesting. I'll keep looking.

Thank you

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 14:38 BST (UK) »
Pensylvania, plus meeting house would indicate the Quaker faith.  Baptisms and marriages may occur in several different places other than the one they live in.

Once again, I would suggest a look up from BucksFHS.  They do have some non-conformist registers/transcriptions. Look them up on FaceBook and ask the question.

Also, as Marsh Gibbon is very close to the Oxfordshire County line, so perhaps an enquiry to OxFHS, as well.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/