Author Topic: Waddle/ Waddel etc. Stichill.  (Read 986 times)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
Waddle/ Waddel etc. Stichill.
« on: Monday 27 April 20 15:09 BST (UK) »
Could I have fresh eyes on this please ?

My 3x gt grandmother Isabel Waddel was christened on 1st September 1805 at Stichill, father William Waddel, mother Mary Deans.

The only other records I have of her ( I thought ) were as the mother of her children with Alexander Black. These were Alexander 29th June 1825, William 29th November 1827, Mary Weddell 19th March 1830, John 9th July 1832, Elizabeth 30th August 1834 and Isabella 27th April 1837, all at Stichill.

No marriage to Alexander Black or death for her. I`m sure of her being the spouse of Alexander as Mary Deans is on the 1841 and 1851 census, with Alexander.

The conundrum is this: An Isabella Weddell married a John Young on 13th May 1823 at Stichill. Would this be the same person ? I cannot find a death for John Young between 1823 and the birth in 1825 of Alexander, or any census for either Isabella or John.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waddle/ Waddel etc. Stichill.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 April 20 17:25 BST (UK) »
There are no records of any births from the marriage of Isabella to John Young. No deaths and no census records for them in Scotland.

They may have moved South of the border or emigrated.
Check English census.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 April 20 19:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I forgot to say I had checked for births in Scotland, sorry.

There is a possibility on the 1841 English Census in Northumberland taking Isabella`s age as being about 1805; this one is born in Scotland, John Young b Northumberland and a daughter Isabella b. Northumberland.

There are also a lot of marriages in that area between an Isabella and a John Young, but my line is though Isabella and Alexander Black.

I`m almost bad to my original conclusion that there were 2 Isabellas in Stichill at that time and "my" one just disappeared without note.

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 May 20 19:35 BST (UK) »
Billy F, I am trying to help as being married to a Waddell I know the names creates numerous problems,
I confirmed Isobel WADDEL  to parents William WADDEL and Mary DeaNs.  but I found another named ANN born 30-1-1803 again stitcheL and also a MARY but WADDLE born 29-5-1809 same parents.
JEAN WADDLE maRRIED 8-12-1810 STITCHEL TO ALEXANDER BLACK.
I FOUND A ANN WADDEL MARRIED A GEORGE LIDDEL 20-5-1832 STITCHEL
I HAVE THE OLD PARISH RECORDS(OPRS} FOR ROX BERWICK AND SELKIRK WITH ALL THE VARIATIONS WHICH YOU HAVE TO CHECK THE SPELLINGS.
HOPE THIS HELPS OR CONFUSES YOU MORE.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 May 20 00:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you Alan, I`ve had quite a tussle over the years with this.

I have Ann Waddell 30th Jan 1803, Isabella Waddle 1st Sept 1805 and Mary Waddle 29th May 1809, all at Stitchel.

The Jean Waddle who married Alexander Black in 1810 is his second wife; the gravestone has Jane Weddell.

To put into the mix I had a thought that there might be a connection between Jane and William Waddel, Isobela`s father.

A further note, I see you have Turnbull in your list of names. I go back to Barbara Turnbul, 1691, through the Black family.

PS: we stayed at Ashkirk for a week the last 2 summers, I was hoping to come again this year, but who knows !!?

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 May 20 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hi where is the gravestone ? I transcribed Ashkirk and 12 other Selkirkshire cemeteries .i am 81 now and given up bending down and reading headstones! .i am from Selkirk but live in Melrose after 40yrs in London .can I help with anything else.  Love to see you if coming this way later .
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 May 20 14:27 BST (UK) »
The gravestone is in Stichill churchyard. I have a photo , I will send you it by pm.

My grandfather was born in Hawick, but by 17 (1911 census) was in Yorkshire, then met my grandmother and he moved to Lincolnshire to be near her. I`m English living in Wales with a Welsh husband !

Thanks for your offer of help !