Author Topic: Face mask questions  (Read 7115 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Face mask questions
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 13:58 BST (UK) »
My view is that wearing face masks may give people a false sense of security, they cover the mouth and nose but not the eyes, I would only take notice of advice from the WHO:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51205344

Stay safe!

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 14:28 BST (UK) »
Yes, I agree Trystan & Carol. Neither mask nor toothpaste will be my avoidance strategies  ;D. Nor any crackpot ideas circulating across the pond!
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 14:54 BST (UK) »
Nicola Sturgeon now recommending a face covering in Scotland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52457324
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 15:27 BST (UK) »
....another possible use for surplus sporrans?
I agree that gloves are probably more use to the individual than face masks. Hope I'm right.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 16:36 BST (UK) »

The only face mask that will protect you is the correct medical face mask correctly fitted, these at present are reserved for high risk medical use. All other face masks offer no protection and some are dangerous to use when faced with a possible bacterial infection as they increase the risk of infection

The use of face masks for the public are for protecting other people from catching any infection you may have not for protecting you.
Any cloth that covers your face will be effective for this purpose.
Cheers
Guy

Possibly why the death rate in care homes is so high. They are advised to use the single use paper mask that offers no protection at all from catching the virus, and also little protection from spreading the virus - would need to be disposed of after c 15 minutes use, as contaminated and damp. Not sure that they increase the risk of bacterial infection, though.

In many countries it is being made compulsory to wear a face covering/mask when outside. If this is brought in for the UK, I may make masks out of old T-shirts, with a kitchen towel filter inside.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/06/how-to-make-no-sew-face-mask-coronavirus

Whilst realising the limitations, it would possibly be better than a paper mask, avoid diversion of supplies to NHS etc., and would be easy to wash and sterilise.

My main concern, as mentioned on another thread, is the way that many people wear them. A man queuing behind me outside the pharmacy the other day was constantly fiddling with his mask, touching the inside and the outside.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=829367.18

"Just take a look at people on TV or out and about if there are any mask wearers near you.
Mask on, pull it down at the front to talk, push it up again
Wear it round your neck like a scarf, push it up when anyone comes near.
Pull it down by the front to answer the phone, put phone back in pocket, push mask up again.
No doubt get home, remove mask, probably wash hands (who knows what people do?), get phone out, make a few calls, cuddle the baby."

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 18:51 BST (UK) »
Unless something is mandated by law, it is an individual choice. My husband and I are in higher risk categories, so we choose to wear masks and gloves when we go out shopping, but not when we're just out for a walk (while observing the 'social distancing' rules). I would also wear a mask and gloves if I had to use public transit.

We wear N-95 masks that we had left over from a year or two ago when we were doing home renovations (so they are not medical grade). From what we understand, the masks and gloves that we use can be sterilized in the oven, so that's what we've been doing (following specific instructions). Even if this doesn't completely do the trick, several days go by in between use, so any virus still on the surfaces will hopefully have died by that time.

When we are out shopping, we try to touch only the things that we will be buying, and try to be mindful about not touching our faces, adjusting our eyeglasses, etc. When we get home, we sanitize the gloves with gel hand sanitizer first (most of the surface is vinyl or something like that), then take them off and place them in a prepared spot (on a cookie tin lined with baking paper). We take the masks off in such a way that they will not bounce back and touch our faces, then place them directly on the tin as well. Then I use a tissue to turn on the hot water tap to wash my hands. And so on.

Does this guarantee that we won't get this coronavirus? No. We're just doing what we can, based on our apparent level of vulnerability, to mitigate the danger. In our opinion, it really is better than nothing. Ideally, we'll be able to delay getting it until there is a reliable course of treatment or a vaccine (although we're not holding out any hope for the latter).

Wearing masks and gloves hasn't given us a false sense of security. We've simply spent enough time on public transit and in shared public spaces such as the washrooms in shopping malls to know that a lot of people are careless about personal hygiene, even when they are sick, and some people are  pigs (picking their noses in public, coughing without covering their mouths, spitting all over the sidewalks, etc.). Since we can't rely on other people to do their part to keep us safe, we're doing what we can and hoping for the best.

I also understand why some people will choose not to wear a mask or gloves in public and have no problem with that. As I said, it's a personal decision.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline confusion

• RootsChat Senior
  • I was born poor - and still have all of it
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 19:02 BST (UK) »
The following post was made two weeks ago outlining problems with using gloves and masks

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=828762.msg6932662#msg6932662

Willey, Berry, Cox, Davis, Haddock, Hutton, Griffiths/Griffin, Tanner - Worcestershire
Cox, Dudley, Harris, Moore, Neville, Payne - Warwickshire
Chambers, Douds, Dryden, Given, Hamilton, Hassan, McPherson, McWhirter, Simpson, Taggart, Vauls, Whiteside - Ireland/Scotland, Northumberland
Challis, Halls, Heady, Grove, Lawrence - Essex
Foxwell, Imm, Ward - Gloucesteshire
Heady, Collis, Griffin - Hertfordshire
Hurling - Middlesex
Willey, Imm - Monmouthshire
Imm, Hamilton, Hedge, Majury, Sollis - US

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 19:07 BST (UK) »

The only face mask that will protect you is the correct medical face mask correctly fitted, these at present are reserved for high risk medical use. All other face masks offer no protection and some are dangerous to use when faced with a possible bacterial infection as they increase the risk of infection

The use of face masks for the public are for protecting other people from catching any infection you may have not for protecting you.
Any cloth that covers your face will be effective for this purpose.
Cheers
Guy

Possibly why the death rate in care homes is so high. They are advised to use the single use paper mask that offers no protection at all from catching the virus, and also little protection from spreading the virus - would need to be disposed of after c 15 minutes use, as contaminated and damp. Not sure that they increase the risk of bacterial infection, though.

snip
Regards Margaret

Most Care Homes are run by private companies and responsible in law to protect both staff and residents, they should all have bought stocks of PPE before the virus hit.
The Government's help should really only be helping out in cases of supply failed delivery and topping up over and above the standard stock levels.
However arguing about that can wait until the virus has been controlled.
Cheers
Guy

PS it is advised that N-95 reusable masks are only decontaminated two or three times and never touch the inner lining.
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 19:58 BST (UK) »
Apparently the only good thing about wearing a mask is that it stops you touching your mouth and nose with your hands.

I can't see the point of wearing gloves, as unless you can guarantee you are not going to touch your face when wearing them, you might as well just wash your hands properly when you get home. Also you have to be very careful and make sure that you take them off the right way. Perhaps more importantly is how they are discarded -  far too many are just being thrown on the floor in carparks.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk