Author Topic: Face mask questions  (Read 7119 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Face mask questions
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 14 May 20 16:53 BST (UK) »
I know the T shirt method is suggested by the government but to me neither of the above mentioned fabrics have a close weave, so I am not sure how effective they would be to stop aerosols.

I read that a layer of cotton & a layer of silk is the best combo quoting from
https://inews.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-face-masks-explained-silk-cotton-chiffon-homemade-masks-how-to-2549472
https://www.pulmonologyadvisor.com/home/topics/lung-infection/best-materials-to-use-for-homemade-cloth-masks-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/
Some of the best homemade face masks are made from natural silk combined with cotton sheets with a high thread count.

A study finds that masks made from cloth commonly found in the home can make highly effective masks, capturing between 80 and 99 per cent of virus particles, many of which are in droplets so small they measure between 0.1 and 0.00016 times the width of a human hair.

To begin with, a good mask needs at least one layer of tightly-woven cotton and two layers of the polyester-spandex chiffon evening gown mix or silk - as the materials play complementary roles, which become more effective as the layers increase.

They must also fit as close to perfectly as possible. If not fitted snugly, even a tiny gap between the edge of the mask and the wearer’s face - representing just 1 per cent of the surface area of the cloth - can cut its effectiveness by more than 60 per cent, the study finds.

Tightly-woven fabrics, such as cotton sheets, act as a physical barrier to the particles while certain types of chiffon and natural silk hold a static charge, providing an electrostatic barrier.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 15 May 20 09:30 BST (UK) »
I have just seen on a news ap that an enterprising businessman is converting vending machines outside shops to dispense face masks. The photograph was taken somewhere in England.

There are two kinds costing £5 and £8. Very fancy looking and obviously made of material.

Still seems expensive when you can make a few for yourself at little or no cost.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 15 May 20 10:46 BST (UK) »
Yes, it seems to be the case that some fabrics form a better barrier to virus spread than others.
But I 'd guess that simply wearing a face covering at least will send out a signal that one is taking the situation seriously and encourage other folk to keep their distance.
Also, a bit of a boost to confidence as we venture out into the world again.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 15 May 20 10:51 BST (UK) »
Website. sarahmaker.com has a similar pattern. 

I’ve made this style but with longer elastic to go around the head or ties.  I found that it wasn’t easy to keep elastic loops over your ears. I used a 100% cotton fabric.  Leave a bigger gap than shown if you want to use a filter, otherwise it’s fiddly to get them in or out.

I’m no needlewoman but found them quite easy to do  :)
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 15 May 20 16:17 BST (UK) »
One thing I have noticed about face masks is the number that are now being discarded on the streets.

While I am sure that people on Rootschat who go to the trouble of making there own mask will not just dump them on the street, it dismays me that there are so many people around that do dispose of the blue medical ones in this manner.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 15 May 20 16:27 BST (UK) »
One thing I have noticed about face masks is the number that are now being discarded on the streets.

While I am sure that people on Rootschat who go to the trouble of making there own mask will not just dump them on the street, it dismays me that there are so many people around that do dispose of the blue medical ones in this manner.
Cheers
Guy
Along with the gloves.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 15 May 20 17:42 BST (UK) »

I ventured out this morning, needing something from the chemist.  12 people in the queue for supermarket.  One had a mask, one had vinyl gloves, one had latex gloves.  I was in adjacent queue of 4, only I had mask and gloves. All store staff wearing masks or face shields and gloves.
A lot more people out and about today, I only saw one other person with a mask. 
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 15 May 20 17:54 BST (UK) »
Do you think that is because the advice isn't really very clear? So to play devils advocate, it seems to be that masks, especially the cloth face coverings that are being suggested, won't actually stop you from getting CV, to be sure of that you need a medical-grade respirator mask, a proper fit, and careful putting on and taking off. However if you have it, they will help to stop you spreading it. So to most people that could signal that if you are wearing a mask, you must have CV. Therefore they don't want to wear them.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 15 May 20 18:05 BST (UK) »
The whole mask issue is very tricky.
At least a tubular, stretchy, t-shirt sleeve face covering can be worn round the neck and slipped up and down as might seem appropriate.