Author Topic: Hubbard family coat of arms/crest in 1731 will  (Read 3292 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hubbard family coat of arms/crest in 1731 will
« on: Monday 27 April 20 17:41 BST (UK) »
Dear all,

My ancestor Captain Nathaniel Hubbard (16665/-1731) was the son of Captain John Hubbard (c1624/5-1699) and Rebecca Gravitt.

In his will, Nathaniel leaves the following to his namesake son, "a two Quart Tankard with the family Coat of Arms" and "Boat with my crest". This coat of arms and crest are also mentioned on other items.

The will can be read here: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=5111&h=894688&tid=5705813&pid=6056848148&usePUB=true&_phsrc=PFZ178&_phstart=successSource

My query is obviously how can I find out more about the family. I assume that there is a coat of arms for a member of the Hubbard family. I have no idea about who his father's parents were.

I am hoping someone who knows more about genealogy might please be able to help me with this?

Many thanks,
Jon

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hubbard family coat of arms/crest in 1731 will
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 April 20 17:50 BST (UK) »
Where was Nathaniel from?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 April 20 17:55 BST (UK) »
Burke's General Armory has:

Hubbard (Durham). Sa. in chief a crescent ar. and in base an estoile of eight points or, betw. two flaunches erm. Crest—A wolf pass. or.

Hubbard (Freeby, co. Leicester). Gu. on a bend ar. three leopards' faces sa. Crest—A Saracen's head ppr.

Hubbard (Wyfordby, co. Leicester). Gu. on a bend sa. three annulets or. Crest—A wolfs head erased.

Hubbard (Barleythorpe, co. Rutland. Visit. Rutland, 1618). Ar. on a bend sa. nine annulets, three, three, and three, interlaced or.

Hubbard. Vert a chev. betw. three eagles' heads erased ar. ducally gorged gu.

Hubbard, or Hubert. Quarterly, ar. and sa. on a bend gu. three lions ramp. or.

Hubart, Hubert, or Hubberd (Birchanger, co. Essex: granted May, 1578). Quarterly, ar. and sa. on a
bend gu. three lions pass. or. Crest—A boar's head couped gu. collared, ringed, and lined ar. in the mouth a spear sa. headed of the second.

Hubart (Calais). Az. a chev. ar. betw. three swans' necks erased of the second, ducally gorged gu.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 April 20 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks for the reply.

Nathaniel's parents John Hubbard and Rebecca Gravitt married 10 January 1653 at St Thomas Portsmouth, Hampshire (As John Hubard & Rebekah Grevat).

Their son Captain John Hubbard was baptised in the same place in 1655 (He died 1738 and was buried in Barking, Essex with other Hubbard family members).

Their daughter Rebecca Hubbard was also baptised in St Thomas Portsmouth in 1658.

Nathaniel Hubbard however was baptised in Bermondsey, Surrey (now London) in 1666.

I assume they may have been in Portsmouth due to the navy but Nathaniel's mother's family the Gravitts appear to be from Portsmouth.

I think given the family's connection to barking in Essex though where Sir John Hubbard who died in 1669 has a memorial along with his wife, I suspect they may have been from there.

Thanks,
Jon

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 April 20 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hubart, Hubert, or Hubberd (Birchanger, co. Essex: granted May, 1578). Quarterly, ar. and sa. on a
bend gu. three lions pass. or. Crest—A boar's head couped gu. collared, ringed, and lined ar. in the mouth a spear sa. headed of the second.

Given the Essex link above it looks like it could be this one!

How do I find out more about the family linked to this coat of arms at all please?

Thank you so much,
Jon

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 April 20 18:22 BST (UK) »
I have been re-exploring the will of Nathaniel's father Captain John Hubbard which mentions properties of his father in Portsmouth. His father is not mentioned by name.

The will also names his mother as Frances Hubbard but I have never found the will of his father to help work out further back in the tree.

This will proved in July 167- after he was killed by pirates at sea is here:

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=PFZ182&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&dbid=5111&gsln=hubbard&cp=0&msddy=1669&new=1&rank=1&uidh=zo3&redir=false&msT=1&gss=angs-d&pcat=36&fh=1&h=715886&recoff=&ml_rpos=2&queryId=4515307c908be5fbf04afa9c6bcfeee3

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 April 20 18:31 BST (UK) »

Given the Essex link above it looks like it could be this one!

How do I find out more about the family linked to this coat of arms at all please?

Thank you so much,
Jon

Research, research, research!  ;D
There's no easy route.

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 April 20 18:38 BST (UK) »
Research, research, research!  ;D
There's no easy route.

Ha ha! Indeed. Thanks for the help here :)