Author Topic: How do I find deaths in Canada Please mid 1900s  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
How do I find deaths in Canada Please mid 1900s
« on: Monday 27 April 20 19:22 BST (UK) »
I realise this is probably a really basic question - but I have looked to see if I can find Canadian death registrations but don't seem to be successful. I don't think my brain is working!

I am looking for 2 deaths, probably in the mid 1900s, probably Toronto (one might be in Vancouver).

Could someone kindly point me in the right direction to find such registrations please?

Many thanks for reading this.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find deaths in Canada Please mid 1900s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 April 20 19:26 BST (UK) »
Sadly, nothing available online for Toronto for that time frame.

Vancouver you might pick up on family search or british columbia BMD archives

http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Genealogy

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 April 20 19:49 BST (UK) »
Sandra thank you so very much for your speedy response. I will try the site you have provided.

Thank you again - very much appreciated.
Places of interest;

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 May 20 16:13 BST (UK) »
I have access to the Toronto Star newspaper archives.  If you want to provide some details, I might be able to find an obituary.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 May 20 16:45 BST (UK) »
Oh Eileen -- that is SO kind of you. But please don't put yourself to too much trouble.

I have two brothers of my grandfather who emigrated to Canada and one uncle. I found the death of one brother who had died in 1946  (but I don't know how I found it now!!)

The missing two are;

1.  Herbert Illingworth born 1900 in Preston, Lancashire. (My Grandfather's brother.)
He emigrated on 19th April 1924 on the Montroyal. He was single when he left England.

Initially he would live with his brother, George Illingworth in Toronto. (I am almost sure he remained there as I remember my Mum receiving letters from Uncle Bert in Toronto -- this would be in the late 1950s I think)

2.  William Granville Marshall, born 1880 in Liversedge, Yorkshire - but left England from a family home in Morecambe, Lancashire. (My Grandfather's uncle. He emigrated on 20 July 1923 with his wife and children. He was headed for Toronto, but in the back of my mind is Vancouver. Ignore that - I don't know where that has come from.

Please Eileen - it can be SO laborious searching Newspapers and I really don't want you to go to a great deal of trouble - I just do appreciate the kind offer so much. Hence if nothing springs out at you - just leave it - they have been 'deathless' for years. I have only returned to them due to our current lockdown over here.
Places of interest;

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 May 20 17:17 BST (UK) »
George's death in 1946 is on Ancestry. Address is 17 West Avenue, Toronto. Obituary says husband of late Hannah Robinson, father of Florence Richmond and Grace Granswick. No note of his brother.  He is buried at St. John's Norway Cemetery in the east end of Toronto.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 May 20 17:25 BST (UK) »
Online tree has William Granville Marshall's death on 5 December 1940 in Vancouver.

Event Type:DeathRegistration Number:1940-09-581424BC Archives Mfilm Number:B13170GSU Mfilm Number:1953630Event Date (YYYY-MM-DD):1940-12-05Event Place:VANCOUVERAge at Death:59Person:WILLIAM MARSHALL

These images used to be available on FamilySearch but they don't seem to currently be available.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 May 20 17:27 BST (UK) »

FIND A GRAVE

William Marshall

Maple Ridge Cemetery
Maple Ridge, Greater Vancouver Regional District.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/101889573

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FLGV-3BZ

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 May 20 17:34 BST (UK) »
Anc tree shows Herbert Illingworth married 30 August 1940 Ontario - Marjorie Jane Lowery.
Herbert died 2 March 1957 Ontario (no source) Marjorie
says no idea if this is our Herbert ? It might gives rough dates to search for obituaries to prove or disprove.

Marjorie Jane Lowery 1913–1968
born 7 June 1913 -  Richmond Hill, York County, Ontario
died 25 November 1968  Toronto, York County, Ontario

If this is correct the couple had 4 children ?

no sources

Sandra