Author Topic: Diary Monday 27 April 2020  (Read 753 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary Monday 27 April 2020
« on: Monday 27 April 20 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Roobarb,
Thankfully, I think it was a case of me panicking too soon last night as the bus driver did turn up last night as soon as I logged out.  Yes, gadding about at will does seem to be a distant memory now even though it was really only just a short while ago.  It will be fantastic to get back to totally normal life once all this is over.

Hi Caroline,

Hopefully, your toothache won't return but if it does it might be worth checking with the dentist as they might still see you.  My dentist surgery is closed but apparently they are still treating people if they really need help otherwise most of us will just have to wait until after lockdown is lifted for our usual check ups.  It is very kind of you by the way, to be making masks for other people.  :)

Diary:

Finished nightshift and the bus was on time to take me to Newcastle.  Weather is bright and sunny.  I called in at M&S at the bus station before getting my second connection bus.  I was very pleased to see that my favourite veggie items are now back in stock.  They have rearranged some of their shelving and the chilled desserts have been moved so I had to go hunting for them.  I don't have to wait too long for my second connection bus and after a man has disinfected inside the bus we are off.  When I got near to my destination I pressed the buzzer on two different posts but this does not work and we go past my stop.  Bus driver apologised and said sometimes you have to press really hard on buzzer as all the cleaning sometimes affects the mechanism.  I ask him just to drop me off at my home town and I will just get a bus back.  I couldn't be bothered to walk back with my shopping by then.  Usual cereal and tea for breakfast  at lunch time and I also had some very cold grapefruit juice from the fridge.  Then off to bed.  Now I am en route back to nightshift again.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Monday 27 April 2020
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 April 20 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hope your journey goes well tonight RTL, it does sound like a bit of a marathon for you.

I haven't done much again today (hardly dare say that when RTL has such a busy time). There weren't so many people when I went for my walk today, despite it being a lovely sunny day again. I spent a bit more time out as I wasn't continually dodging people. It's lovely in the woods but I'm looking forward to when I can safely walk further down the path where it's much narrower. Or have a complete change of scenery!

Had a couple of lengthy phone calls after lunch then sat out in the garden reading. Came inside and gave the lounge a good hoovering, making sure I got all along the edges of the carpet in case any more beasties were lurking. All the same, I really can't settle now.

Have run out of potatoes so made a pasta sauce with some chicken for tea. I can cook but I'm not a person who enjoys it like a lot of people do, I don't like all that chopping and slicing business.   Nevertheless I do make a good pasta sauce.  :) I do cook healthy meals because even though I don't enjoy cooking I do like eating the results! I'm hoping I hear from my friend tomorrow to say she's shopping. I could ask her but she's been so kind to me I don't want to ask if she hadn't already been planning to go. Will have to find something to make with pasta or rice otherwise, not sure what.

Just watching TV now, will probably cut the back lawn tomorrow, it's forecast cloudy so it won't tempt me to sit soaking up the rays. At the beginning of this I was getting on with quite a lot of things but lately I just feel like I can't be bothered.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 April 20 21:36 BST (UK) »
Evening all

My diary entry: Quite a dark start to the morning, but we were warned of cooler weather on the forecast last night. Usual morning start and park walk.  Couldn't believe how empty it was!  I was my usual time but I guess the the lack of sunshine has put the usual mob off a bit. Not even the dog walkers.... I did see three Dad's social distancing with prams and babies in papoose type things having a chin wag.  Had a few bits and pieces to do at home and watched Boris from No.10 on the computer then I remembered the bank!  I had to hot foot it into town to get in by 12 when they now close.  I could not believe the queue! I did manage to get in but there was a lot of grumbling in the line.  Sounds like some of the other local branches aren't open at all so ours is the branch which is open.  One of the customers was trying to find out in a polite way, why the shorter hours (9-12).  Some ropey excuse about trying to protect the staff.  Most customers are directed to the cash points to do the simpler transactions.  We are not allowed in the branch and there is a put-me -up table for any of those who have transactions that can't be conducted on the cash point.  I ask you the bank has had 6 going on 7 weeks to set up an acceptable system and this is the best they can do...... >:(  I did get my transaction done so at least it was not a wasted journey.

After banking decided to get a couple of items in Boots and had a bit of the chat with the ladies at the till.  We are allowed to go in an buy items but not browse.

By the time I got home more than half the day was done.  I had a bit of a sit in the garden with some lunch, then answered some emails.

Watched the government propaganda at 5:00.  The government is now taking questions from 'Joe Public'.  The first was from Lynn from Skipton, it was about hugging. Heaven help us.

Some chicken for tea -  and this evening the family seems to be having Zoom chats and quizzes with various.  Mr CD still hard at work.

Roll on Tuesday.

Stay safe!
CD

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 April 20 22:42 BST (UK) »
Painted the garden gate ,then my neighbour’s.
Chatted over the fence with passers by.
Figs are appearing on my little tree,bought for me last year for Mothering Sunday by my daughter.
Found a Lily of the Valley growing in a large pot where I planted a big Allium.
Can’t think how it got there but as
L of  the V are my favourite flowers so I am thrilled .
Decided some trailing Nasturtiums were not going to germinate,I planted seed I had saved from last year’s glorious display in hanging baskets.
I started to dig out the soil and there they are ,good single root and an as yet  bent over shoot,I think I planted them too deep.
I hastily put them back,Hope they survive.
My Chionodoxia were late appearing but are still flowering in window boxes.
Had chicken for tea,cold as roasted  yesterday.
Cooked double the amount of Broccoli as tomorrow pasta with Broccoli  in creamy cheese sauce.
Made a milk jelly this evening,raspberry,but the milk has separated ,but set now and tastes perfectly O.K.
Need to make more bread tomorrow.Only got enough flour for two more loaves and none available but have some S.R. So can do soda bread or the Milk Fadge.
I miss fruit , but until my Tesco delivery on May 5 th I won’t get any.
Tiddler Great Grandson is thrilled,his parents have bought him a set ,comprising Moth eggs,rearing cage .and plants and  further feeding for when the pupae hatch out .
Big moths these ,which must be released at a certain time after emerging.
What a lovely thing for a child to see.
I remember being given the only furry caterpillar collected by a teacher from her garden some 73 years ago , we were  doing the life cycle of a butterfly,
she had brought a caterpillar for each child and because I had been so interested she gave me the only furry  one.
I fed it and watched the chrysalis develop then the butterfly emerged and I remember releasing it ,from the big sweet jar with muslin tied over the top.
It was lovely , to see it fly away ,free.
Wonder if we will get the Drinker Moth caterlpillar eggs we found last year on a neighbour’s kitchen windowsill?
I released the caterpillars as they had turned cannibal!
Cheerio folks ,look after yourselves ,kindest regards to you all.
Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 01:24 BST (UK) »
RTL - thanks for your advice, I'm pleased to say that my toothache seems to have subsided.... hopefully it will continue to be ok...
It's actually head bands I'm making, the ones with buttons either side so the elastic from the masks goes on the buttons not round the ears as apparently it causes discomfort. I'm pleased to say a couple of my neighbours have donated some large buttons. Then it will be onto 'duvet scrubs'.
I, like Roobarb feel a little guilty for not doing much when you're working so hard and having to catch all these buses too. Thank you to all of you folk working so hard to help us all stay alive and safe.

Today's missive!

Woke quite late to a bit of a dull sky... the birds are still singing and the blossom on our neighbours crab apple tree is filling out now and will look a real picture in a day or two.
Usual breakfast ... then in to the kitchen sorted out veg draw in the fridge to see what we've got left and give it a good wash...
cooked some plums with star anise and a cinnamon stick... really annoying I had to throw away about 4 unused sticks as I'd put one back that I'd used before and it must have not been quite dry as they were moldy... I buy them from Daily Bread, it's a cooperative and sells these sorts of items at really good prices... goodness knows when I'll get back there!
Decided to give kitchen a good clean...
Then the bathrooms...
Then rest if the house stopping for lunch and receiving shopping from a neighbour...
Did the hoovering, OH decided to mow the lawn
Went over to the village hall to borrow a table to use for my sewing machines... it's ok it's not used and I'm a key holder...
We had the floors all sanded and revarnished the first week of lockdown... not been in since before he did it and it looks wonderful... well worth what we paid for it although some money came from the windfarm trust as we're a village nearby we are allocated money every year and we can apply for funds it's been very useful... Any organisation in the village can apply...
We decided we'd have a game of scrabble... lost by couple of points so OH now in the lead... so we had another one and I lost again.. and I'd given him some help... not doing that again!
Listened to daily briefing not very inspiring... why do they ask the same questions every day ... do they think they'll get different answers....
Gammon and salad for dinner, then watched tv... mostly rubbish!
The highlight of the day was a picture and a thank you video of our grandsons wearing the new t shirts I'd sent them last week...
Had the planets on them and they glow in the dark... so we got a photo of them in their downstairs loo in the dark and you can see them glowing green..lovely
We sent them a video back which apparently they were tickled pink over!
Ah well another day over...
Take care night all, stay well and safe

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 10:53 BST (UK) »
I'm learning loads. 

I've heard of soda bread but never heard of Milk Fadge.  Searching the internet it looks like a giant scone. Is it tasty?

On the gardening thread someone was talking about leaf beet.  That's new to me too, apparently it's another name for chard.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 11:15 BST (UK) »
Milk Fadge is in an old recipe book from BeRo flour ,but any Self Raising flour works.
Try half quantity which is :- 8 ounces of S.R flour
                                         1/2 teaspoon salt,sifted in.
                                          1 ounce lard rubbed in.
                                           Mix with 1/4 pt milk ,or if short of milk use half
                                                                  milk and water.
                                            Form onto round
                                             Put on greased baking sheet and into oven                 
                                                   preheated to 350-375(4-5) for 30 mins.

If yo do full quantity make two rounds.
It cuts well and can be toasted,ok with sweet or savoury.
Not a bad substitute for bread.
But of course flour is not easy to find.
I have had my BeRo book from1956 ,Mum got it for me,they were free, just before I got married in 1956.
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 12:15 BST (UK) »
My mother's baking bible was a Stork cookery book.  You could tell how well loved & used it was by the grease stains! Sadly it's long gone.

As well as having all the basics it had a recipe for a golden syrup cake. Much to her dismay it always sank but we didn't care. It tasted delicious.

Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 12:31 BST (UK) »
The best everyday fruit cake I know ( as against the rich fruit cakes Christmas- Weddings etc) I call Clithero Sad cake.
Meaning it always sinks but is so tasty.
First had it in a nice cafe in Clithero, the proprietress said it sank everytime
she baked it.
I make it for Church do’s etc ,if it is labelled as “ Clithero Sad Cake” questions are asked and those who know it say how nice it is and  not heavy despite  a dip in the middle.
The fruit is boiled with the butter and imparts such a good flavour to the whole mixture.
Gosh, wonder when we will be back “in  business “,  hopefully the Autumn Fair.
It is hard work and we are few now so it gets harder ,but is a good source of income for the Church.
No meetings at present of course.
When ingredients are again available I will send the recipe if anyone is interested and would like a lighter alternative to the ultra richness  of Christmas cake.
Cheerio.Viktoria.

P.S.my cookery books are similarly marked, bearing evidence of countless Christenings, milestone birthdays,Weddings,  Wedding Anniversaries ,Christmases , etc etc .
I hand wrote one from getting married and my  Grand  daughter wants it but
 it is almost illegible! Stains and splashes etc.
I have started another with the best loved recipes neatly written, nice but no memories in it , well the original is 64 years old!
Cheerio.Viktoria.