Author Topic: Neill/Livingston - Aughnacloy  (Read 1174 times)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Neill/Livingston - Aughnacloy
« on: Tuesday 28 April 20 00:22 BST (UK) »
i am posting for an elderly friend who has done a lot of work on his family tree but this branch has always stumped him.  As he is now in palliative care, I want to see if I can make a breakthrough for him.

His great-grandmother was Margaret Neill who was born in Glenkeen on January 7, 1857, and baptized at St. James Church in Aughnacloy on February 8, 1857 by Rev. T.G. Stokes.  Her parents are noted as Thomas Neill & Bessie Livingston.  She marries William John Boyle on 8 September 1882 at St. Anne's Shankill Belfast.  She died in 1930.

We believe she had a brother Alexander who was born in the early 1860s (before civil registration) and who appears later in Belfast, where Thomas shows up in the 1911 census before he passes in 1915.  Alex marries Alice Starrett on July 7, 1894 at St. Anne's. He died in 1951.

He's never been able to find any other additional information about Thomas and Bessie, although I believe Margaret was born in Glenkeen, Aghaloo Parish where there are a couple of Livingston families (so the wife's parish), but that's about all. 

I cannot find Thomas in the 1901 census for a start, and although I can find Alex in the Belfast directories in the 1890s and beyond, no sign of Thomas, and he is not living with Alex in the 1901 census.

I know any tidbit of info about Thomas and Bessie would really bring some joy to my friend.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Neill/Livingston - Aughnacloy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 09:08 BST (UK) »

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 10:56 BST (UK) »
Possible, but I believe hospital patients were included in the census?  I will broaden the search.  Thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 11:12 BST (UK) »
Possible, but I believe hospital patients were included in the census?  I will broaden the search.  Thanks.

People in institutions should be listed by initials rather than full name.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 11:50 BST (UK) »
There's a T. N., male, Church of Ireland, widower in Workhouse in 1901 census- but age 80--
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/St__George_s_Ward_Belfast/Lisburn_Road/966799/
Lots of pages for Workhouse returns- he's not on pages 1-45  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 11:56 BST (UK) »
I do believe he was older than noted in the 1911 census, along with his son Alex who must have been older and closer in age to his sister born 1857.  Thanks for checking.  I will take a look.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 12:57 BST (UK) »
Page 93:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000326030/

Says he's born in Belfast which I'm not sure of given where the daughter was born.  Thanks for the heads up.  I'll put this in the possible category.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 18:16 BST (UK) »
I have been able to find another child, Annie, born about 1871 married to a David Jamieson in Belfast in 1892; witnesses are her sister Margaret and her husband William John Boyle.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1892/10630/5873070.pdf

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile