Author Topic: Trying to identify address  (Read 391 times)

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Trying to identify address
« on: Tuesday 28 April 20 10:59 BST (UK) »
I have a death registration for someone who dies in Barnhill Poorhouse, Garngadhill but I cannot discern what their usual address was from the record.   It looks like Shiplea Pass ???   Any ideas ?

Also, where would the burial likely be for a death in that area.  It would be a non catholic burial.

Thanks
Andrew

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to identify address
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 11:42 BST (UK) »
Schipka Pass ?

Try the 1905 Valuation Rolls on SP.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 12:00 BST (UK) »
According to Glasgow & West of Scotland Family History Society's publication "A Guide to Glasgow Adresses volume II" Schipka Pass as located between Gallowgate and London Street, one block East of Glasgow Cross.

Eric

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 12:06 BST (UK) »
From the Valuation Rolls -
House and lodging house No. 5 Schipka Pass Glasgow.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 12:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the replies and links.    I would never have thought of "Schipka Pass".   Had never heard of it, but must have walked past it many times as a young boy !  I found the blog with the walk down Gallowgate and the Valuation Rolls.    As you say, Number 5 was a lodging house which would make sense with the other info I have.   Looking at the photos on the blog, although now demolished, I think it was on the southern side of Gallowgate where St Andrews Lane is now situated.   

Thank again folks.

Andrew