Author Topic: Malinauskas & Bardauskas families of Lithuania & Maine  (Read 1048 times)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Malinauskas & Bardauskas families of Lithuania & Maine
« on: Tuesday 28 April 20 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I am helping a friend research their father's ancestors. Their father was a displaced person in Europe and came to Australia in 1948 as a young man. He was Roman Catholic and born in Lithuania in 1926. When he was born, his parents had only recently returned from the US where they had migrated for a period. His parents and my friend's dad's older brother were recorded as follows in the 1920 US census (from IGI):

16 Knox Street, Lewiston Ward 5, Androscoggin, Maine
Kazimir Malinowski, male, white, 41, married, immigrated 1905, born Lithuania, clerk grocery store
Emilia Malinowski, female, white, 23, married, immigrated 1912, born Lithuania, weaver cotton mill
Kazimir Malinowski, male, white, 5, single, born Maine

Kazimir & Emilia married on 17 May 1913 in Lewiston (from IGI). The groom's parents were recorded as Jerome Malinaucskas (deceased, born Russia) and Ann nee Taczus (housekeeper, residence Russia, born Russia). The bride's parents were recorded as Peter Bardauckatie (farmer, residence Russia, born Russia) and Marcelia nee Zuldanaizie (housewife, residence Russia, born Russia).

Kazimir arrived at Ellis Island in the US on the SS Amerika in 1906 (from IGI). His prior residence was recorded as Zipelen, he was 28, he was born in Russia and was Lithuanian. He had a "brother" Antonis Cyraukas in Lewiston.

Emilia arrived at Ellis Island on the SS Celtic in 1911. Her prior residence was recorded as Sinvelyki, Russia, and she had a brother Josef Bardowksi in Sinvelyki. Perhaps Sinvelyki is Suvalkai, now in Poland?

I would like to find the Malinauskas and Bardauskas families in Russian records if this is possible. However, I am very unfamiliar with what sources there might be. I have searched databases on Ancestry and Findmypast and IGI without success. Does anyone know of any sources that I might find them in? Many thanks in advance for any help.

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Malinauskas & Bardauskas families of Lithuania & Maine
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 12:56 BST (UK) »
Small edit: for "Zipelen" read Nipelen. I don't know where this place is.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 16:32 BST (UK) »

Here´s a link to the catholic Church books on the Lithuanian cultural heritage site
https://www.epaveldas.lt/en/paieska?col=27701&p_p_id=searchresultsportlet_WAR_searchresultsportlet10SNAPSHOT

Gimimo – Birth
Santuokos – Marriage
Mirties – Death

If you don´t speak the language it will be very difficult to browse these records.

Here´s the state Archive
http://www.archyvai.lt/en/genealogical-search.html

Dave

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

Their father was a displaced person in Europe and came to Australia in 1948 as a young man. He was Roman Catholic and born in Lithuania in 1926.

Look here for documents with more information about displaced persons.
https://arolsen-archives.org/en/search-explore/search-online-archive/
Maybe you will find there his correct place and date of birth.

Regards
Svenja

Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 04:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry garstonite, I couldn't seem to click through on those links. As far as I'm aware there is no family knowledge of any other relatives in the US, only what the documents reveal.

Thanks davecapps, I will have a go at those sources. Unfortunately I am monolingual but you never know! Thanks for the Lithuanian hints too.

Thanks too Svenja, yes I did indeed find my friend's dad in those records. They had his date of birth but not the specific place.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 April 20 06:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There are multiple entries per person and some entries have images with additional info, so make sure you clicked through on all the documents.

There is only one Malinauskas I can see born 1926 (first initial A) in that archive and there is a document listing his parents as Kazys Malinauskas and Emilija Bardauskaite.  This man was born Panevėžys (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panev%C4%97%C5%BEys ) and resident Kupiškis 
 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kupi%C5%A1kis ) where he is a student.

It appears he originally wanted to go to the US, or return to an independent Lithuania - but ended up in Australia instead.

Antonis Cyraukas looks like he's listed as a brother i.l. = brother in law, but I can't trace him in the US. As Kazimir didn't marry until after he arrived in the US this would suggest he had a sister married to Antonis.

Interestingly when Emilia (Emilie) arrived in 1911 it looks like her father was supposed to be in the US:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JJPF-7XM
(click forward to second image)
(further info:)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9T4-33F9-X?i=296&cc=1368704
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 April 20 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hi jorose, many thanks for your very detailed reply, I've found all those documents and they have some great information!

I did actially find Anton Caraukus in the 1910 US census in the Androscoggin County Jail, Maine: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MR3P-8YX

I haven't yet found his arrival record. The census record says he immigrated about 1900 and married about 1905 (ie in America). But I haven't found the marriage record or the rest of his family. I also couldn't find any Maine newspaper articles on Findmypast that mentioned why he might have been in jail, or any Maine court records on IGI. The trouble with names with many potential English spellings!

That is interesting that the second 1911 arrival record for Emilie says that her father is in Lewiston. Her 1913 marriage record says that he was resident in Russia.

I should also mention that I started a thread on the Ancestry message board system looking to see if anyone could identity "Nipelen" (Kazimir's place of origin) or what I thought was "Sinvelyki" (Emilie's place of origin). No-one has yet come up with anything for Nipelen but Sinvelyki, which was actually probably "Girwelyki", may well be Gerwoloki or Girwoloki, two places near Kupiskis. My friend's dad was a resident of Kupiskis before he came to Australia, as you say.