Author Topic: Malinauskas & Bardauskas families of Lithuania & Maine  (Read 1062 times)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Malinauskas & Bardauskas families of Lithuania & Maine
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 April 20 09:34 BST (UK) »
Am following this with interest
You've done some amazing research
It's very hard with name changing between countries .
And towns change name spellings when occupied by another country
In 1913 a part of Lithuania was in Russia
My great grandfather has Russian or foreign.citizrn.on most of his documents but his town was part of Latvia in earlier years and is again now .his siblings in USA are recorded as born Russia Poland and Austris on.censusrs and records I think just because enumerator misheard or made mistake .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 April 20 10:26 BST (UK) »
Yes indeed, the unsual surnames (for Anglophone countries) make it harder. But I did get a big help from the unusual first names of Emilie and Kasimir which the family remembered - that's how I found the 1920 census and 1913 marriage record which narrowed down where they were in the US and then led to the correct arrival records at Ellis Island.

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 April 20 12:24 BST (UK) »
I think I found Kasimir Malinauskas (as Charles Malinouskis) in the 1910 US census at Lewsiton Ward 6, Androscoggin County: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MRSR-8ZG

He is a boarder in a household headed by Joseph Shinkunas, presumably the man he arrived with on the SS America in 1906. He is next door to a household headed by Joseph Bukis and containing, as a boarder, Joseph Bagdonas who I have a feeling (not proven) might be the man mentioned in Emilie Bardauskas' 1911 manifest record.

Charles Malininskis is recorded in the draft registration in 1917, listing his wife Amelia as a relative: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2HM-R5KT

So is Joseph Bagdonas I think: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2HM-29CM

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 April 20 22:25 BST (UK) »
Great find..yes looks very likely

Hope you can corroberate

Maybe if you see J D.naturalization papers it will confirm date of arrival and see if it is same man as accompanied KM on boat . sorry auto correct won't let me spell their names

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 May 20 03:56 BST (UK) »
Yes that's a good idea, I will look for naturalisation papers.

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 May 20 10:43 BST (UK) »
I didn't find Josef Szinkuna's naturalisation but I did track him through the censuses. After 1910 he appears at Rochester, New York. In the 1930 census he gives his place of birth as, I think, "Koona" Lithuania: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X78Q-8S4

I wonder if this place is Kaunas? I wonder if this is a clue to the place of origin of Kasimir, who came with him on the boat, gave the same American contact, and lived with him in 1910?

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 May 20 05:22 BST (UK) »
Yes Kaunas I've seen both spelling s
Did he stay in a displaced person camp ?

I have a cigarette box made by an Estonia n in a displaced camp traced him as far as Canada butseemingky no r descendants of related.thd Estonia society in Leicester have not heard of that surname

So now I'd dearly love to give it to someone who has a relative who was displaced ..as antique dealer said it's worth little except to a family who would love it for its history .

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 May 20 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hi again brigidmac, I'm actually not sure if my friend's dad was in a displaced persons camp. He was definitely a displaced person in Europe after the war (in Germany). I found him in the Arolsen Archives with a DP card (through the kind help of the people above). I'll check with my friend if her dad was in a camp and whether she's happy for me to pass on her father's details. If she says yes I'll send you a private message.

Just to let everyone know, I started a new thread looking specifically at Antanis Carauskus, the "brother-in-law" of my friend's grandfather Kasimir. That thread is here: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=830292.0

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 May 20 09:22 BST (UK) »
Often it is the scribe who is writing the census or document that misheard or mid understand s town names

Leads to confusion

I had that problem in France even when I spell it out in French have to remember that
French I. Sounds like E
J sound S like G

Happy hunting