Author Topic: Diary - Tuesday, 28 April 2020  (Read 1207 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Tuesday, 28 April 2020
« on: Tuesday 28 April 20 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Roobarb,

Thanks, I did get my bus without any problem last night.  I am feeling much less anxious now about the bus situation during this lockdown, as things do seem to be working out for me regarding my travel (albeit a few moments of anxiety here and there).  I just hope this continues and if they don't reduce the 'skeleton' service any further, I think I should be able to manage. 

Hi Caroline,

I am really glad that your dental problem has cleared up. 

I got mixed up, thinking you were making masks rather than the bands.  It is very kind of you to be making these items for others protection. I find it very cheering to read about all the positive things that are being done to help others during this time.  On RootsChat, I have come across other positive posts such as one by a man who said he had put his name forward when the appeal for NHS volunteers was made.  There was also one made by a lady who said she is knitting little hats for babies in hospital during this time.

Hi PharmaT,

I am glad that your protective equipment came through recently.  My heart wrenched for you reading about the lack of this and the mental anguish you were experiencing as a result.  I am so glad this situation for you and your colleagues has improved.

Diary:

Finished nightshift and got my two buses back home without any difficulties.
I read in the news that Boris is asking us to be 'patient' regarding the lockdown being lifted.  My thoughts are that as much as I long for the day when there will be no more lockdown and life can can get back to normality, I am happy to fall in line with anything which might help keep things under control and reduce deaths.

At 11 am I paused for the Minutes Silence for the NHS and Keyworker staff who have tragically lost their lives.

Not much else to report about how I spent my day - breakfast, sleep, tea, back on the bus to nightshift again.  Feels like Groundhog Day.  Quite repetitive and monotonous.  I am looking forward to some days off at the end of the week to see if I can try to fit in a bit more variety to my days.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Tuesday, 28 April 2020
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 21:34 BST (UK) »
RTL, good to hear that your bus service is working well, hope you get some variety and enjoyment on your days off. I agree with your thoughts on the lockdown, it's frustrating for everyone and I've been quite depressed by it at times but it's in place for a very good reason.

It's been quite cloudy today here as forecast. When I set off for my walk the sun was just starting to break through, the early cloud seems to have discouraged a lot of people as there weren't many on the field and I managed to get a longer walk in the woods. As I was just entering the woods a man rode past on a bike and said hi, which was nice. I think he may have been the same man I saw a few weeks ago who asked where my dog was. Perhaps he doesn't find it so strange now that a woman is walking alone just for exercise and pleasure. A little later on I was leaving the woods as someone was approaching on the path, I was going down the little path through the trees to leave the main path when an old lady with a dog entered at the other end of it. I was looking for a way I could divert when she told her dog to go a different way. I called out thank you but she didn't reply. It was nice to see someone with some consideration. The sun had come out while I was there and was quite warm but unfortunately it didn't last.

On my way back I got a message from my friend asking if I wanted any groceries, hooray! She said it would be late afternoon, I sent my list to her when I got home. Gave the fridge a clean out, it's amazing how it gets grubby just from everyday use. Also sorted out what's left in the freezer. Was pleased to find a couple of M&S Welshcakes lurking there, particularly as I'd decided yesterday to toast my last hot cross bun and burnt it, it ended up in the bin.

Had a tuna sandwich for lunch and then cut the back lawn. Phone calls with a couple of friends, did some ironing then my friend arrived with the groceries. I'd asked for new potatoes and she'd brought Jerseys, what a good lass! Also some eggs so decided to have omelette with new potatoes and peas for tea. That was after I'd washed all the packaging of the groceries, seems to take ages, heaven knows how long it'll take me on Monday when my big Tesco order arrives.

Caught up on Rootschat, watching TV with a cuppa. Nearly the end of another day, where do they go?

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 23:41 BST (UK) »
Such a dreary cool morning - but determined to keep to a routine, any routine I go through my usual paces. I head for the park which is much deserted this morning. No children or Dad's with babies only two runners. Two roguish looking West Highland terriers are out for their daily walk. The park is now stunning with greens of every hue - however the downside is that the pollen and 'casing's' to the leaves from the trees and shrubs are cast everywhere.  As a hayfever sufferer this is alarming!

I'm not sure where the day went, busy doing nothing.  Sorting some family history files, sending emails, bits and pieces of house work.

Should have avoided the daily propaganda programme but didn't .  Matt Hancock was stuck on repeat with his favourite phrase, and the the lady Professor was shambolic.

I read with alarm that BA are to make 12,000 redundant and John Lewis will close 50 shops. Whilst my heart goes out to those who are sick and who have lost loved ones I can't help but wonder about all those who need other types of medical treatment and are being denied, those who have to stand by and watch their livelihoods unravel, and those who are suffering mentally or at the hands of others. 

Another day completed and well done to those in key positions and helping in various capacities.

Stay safe!
CD

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 23:58 BST (UK) »
RTL - thank you for your kind thoughts. I've always tried to knit, sew or craft things for charities and have felt particularly frustrated over this period as I would have liked to have done more... but feel happy I'm able to contribute now.
I've also got some little baby blankets for our local hospital when I can get to it!

Roobarb - I hope you're safe on your walks, it worries me that you're walking through woods... I don't know what part of the country you live in but please take great care won't you... sorry if I'm sounding like an anxious mother!

Today's diary

Woke late as slept badly, opening the curtains to dull skies and rain... the garden does need it though so I'll forgive it! It made me realise how fortunate we've been over these past weeks of lockdown that the weather has been warm and sunny to lift ones spirits in dark times..
Usual breakfast then went up to my work room and did my hours session of Yogalates , we stopped for two minutes at 11am in a peaceful yoga position. It felt very calming and made you really focus on why we were all doing it. Thank you to all those wonderful people who sadly through their selflessness have lost their lives.
Cheese on toast for lunch today as we felt like something hot... no soup left in the freezer now... shouldn't really have had two pieces but it was lovely!
Upstairs to do all the ironing whilst watching Kirstie Allsopp doing her craft programme.
Had a cuppa then our daily dose of scrabble lost again...  😢☹️
Got my sewing machine out and started on the headbands I'd cut out the other day...
Watched daily briefing,,, goid news that testing us going to be widened as it needs to be.
Jacket potato with mince and vegs for dinner..
Watched an old film and off to bed.

Take care everyone, stay safe... hope weather improves so we can get out tomorrow.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 10:10 BST (UK) »

I read with alarm that BA are to make 12,000 redundant and John Lewis will close 50 shops.

According to this list they only have 51 stores  :)
https://www.johnlewis.com/our-shops
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 13:38 BST (UK) »

Roobarb - I hope you're safe on your walks, it worries me that you're walking through woods... I don't know what part of the country you live in but please take great care won't you... sorry if I'm sounding like an anxious mother!

Caroline

Aah, bless you Caroline, I'm touched by your concern. I live on the edge of a small town on the North East coast, it's five minutes' drive to the beach, I could walk there but taking into account the journey there and back I probably wouldn't want to actually walk along the beach. When I feel a bit safer going out I'll drive there again for a walk along the lovely beach.

The area I go for my walk at the moment is only a few yards from my house, there's a very large field at the edge of the estate, it has a couple of goal posts for people to have a kickabout and is used by a lot of dog walkers. At the other side is the narrow strip of woodland, there's a main path through and at the other side is the railway line. I don't have any qualms at the moment about walking there as any other people around are just exercising or dog walking. Just before the lockdown I walked much further down where the path is a lot narrower. I would have been cautious about doing that at the time but there were men working on the field, cutting it etc, and I was following a couple who were walking that way. I did turn back after a while as I didn't want to walk a great distance through there on my own. Having said that, I think it's generally pretty safe there, the only dubious activity in normal times is groups of teenagers gathering in the evenings and making a nuisance of themselves occasionally. There's a much bigger wood just up the hill from here, I wouldn't walk through there alone at any time, I wouldn't feel comfortable.

Thank you for your concern Caroline.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 14:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you for responding... I'm glad you don't feel I'm being over anxious!

Now you've told me all about your area I'm feeling much happier and can visualise it.... pity about not being able to walk along the beach... my OH's dream to live by/near the sea... he keeps talking about us moving but we've lived in this area for over 40 yrs and in this house 33yrs, it's in the countryside but about as far as you could get to the coast!

Just so long as you keep safe, which I'm sure you will, it's important for us all to get outside for exercise. We're lucky to be surrounded by fields and some lovely walks... just need a pub at the end to go and have a nice glass of wine outside after a long walk! ☹️

Take care

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 18:18 BST (UK) »
Another work day.  We observed the minute's silence at 11am.  Not a great day overall, my mask fell off twice, the new ones are a very poor design and don't fit very well.

Ate a muffin when I got in, I know it's not healthy, I know I'm too fat, bad example, stupid etc but I really couldn't cook I was dizzy, dehydrated and tired.  I also know proper people wouldn't have been tired but I am me.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 18:51 BST (UK) »
I'm so sorry to hear how awful you were feeling pharmaT, it's perfectly understandable that you would grab something convenient to eat. Your life sounds pretty exhausting to me, I'd be tired too. We could start an improper people group!  ;) :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham