Author Topic: Diary - Tuesday, 28 April 2020  (Read 1208 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Tuesday, 28 April 2020
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 20:05 BST (UK) »
Please don't be so hard on yourself PharmaT.    I work long hours too (12 hour shift coming up tonight) and I also experience dehydration, fatique, and often haven't the energy to cook a 'proper' meal or eat as healthily as I could.  Tonight for example I had a chocolate eclair as a treat because this felt more of a feel good boost than a yoghurt or piece of fruit.

I think we just do what we can to get through and it is inevitable that we get tired with such long shifts and nothing to do with being 'stupid' or not 'proper'. 

I have cut back on drinks at certain times of the day now because there are no public toilets open and I have to travel for work.  Someone emailed me recently to tell me that this is not good for me.  Don't I know it! and I do experience dehydration headaches now but what choice do I have - risk embarrassing 'accident' or dehydration.  I am choosing the latter. 

So please, PharmaT don't be so hard on yourself .. we can just do what we can.  I am sure you are doing a great job. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 22:58 BST (UK) »
RTL & Pharma - if only the general public knew what you are putting yourselves through to do your amazing jobs, that lets face it a huge percentage of people could never in a million years do... and I include myself in that category!
Actually no it's not the general public but those in government... national and local who need to know that you're all getting dehydrated on a regular basis and that you're all exhausted.
What about all these food companies you see advertise on tv who are providing food for front line staff like you two doesn't it come in to the hospitals you work in...
I wish more folk other than us here on RC who could read your daily diaries.
I'm beginning to think I'm sitting here at home and the only thing I can contribute doing is making scrubs and headbands for you folk... it's not enough I wish I could do more...
But
I have a husband who if he got covid19 he may well not survive and I couldn't do that to my family.... our eldest grandson ( nearly 7) is already worried about not seeing us, and when will he see us, will he ever be able to come and stay... it makes me feel very stressed out that at his age he's voicing what I'm thinking...
So hang in there both of you and just think when you're feeling awful us here on RC are right behind you and thinking of what you're doing for the rest of us.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 April 20 10:11 BST (UK) »
Morning All.
I echo what Caw has said....
and many thanks to such as RTL and Pharma who are wearing themselves out in difficult and demanding conditions.

I worked night shifts in a mental health ward for a l-o-n-g time, and I really DO know how it feels to be dizzy with fatigue when trying to get home to bed. 

I wonder if anyone would find it helpful  to keep a handful of soaked almonds in a little pot to nibble on the way home.  (I rinse mine, and then leave them in a little water for a while.  They soak up the moisture surprisingly quickly, and then would nourish, without exacerbating the dehydration aspect on the way out of work, after shift.)

RTL, it is coming  up to Mass Diary time soon, I think?  Do you have any info for this year?
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 April 20 10:20 BST (UK) »
Morning All.
I echo what Caw has said....
and many thanks to such as RTL and Pharma who are wearing themselves out in difficult and demanding conditions.

I worked night shifts in a mental health ward for a l-o-n-g time, and I really DO know how it feels to be dizzy with fatigue when trying to get home to bed. 

I wonder if anyone would find it helpful  to keep a handful of soaked almonds in a little pot to nibble on the way home.  (I rinse mine, and then leave them in a little water for a while.  They soak up the moisture surprisingly quickly, and then would nourish, without exacerbating the dehydration aspect on the way out of work, after shift.)

RTL, it is coming  up to Mass Diary time soon, I think?  Do you have any info for this year?

I dare not eat anything until I am completely decontaminated.   I wash my hands, leave the ward, go to changing room, remove uniform badge etc from uniform goggles in locker etc, wash hands, remove uniform and place in pillow case, wash hands and lower arms, outdoor clothes on, pack everything in plastic bags to carry home, wash hands again, go to car, sanitiser gelon hands, drive home, strip off and travel clothes straight in washing machine, wash hands, turn washing machine on, have shower and wash hair, PJs on, clean phone, keys and everything that we've had out the house, wash hands, clean worksurface where these items have been, wash hands again and then and only then can I touch food.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 April 20 10:22 BST (UK) »
Mass Observation Diary 2020 link:

http://www.massobs.org.uk/write-for-us/12th-may

RTL: Thought I would try to help by searching out the link.....
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 April 20 10:24 BST (UK) »

I dare not eat anything until I am completely decontaminated.   I wash my hands, leave the ward, go to changing room, remove uniform badge etc from uniform goggles in locker etc, wash hands, remove uniform and place in pillow case, wash hands and lower arms, outdoor clothes on, pack everything in plastic bags to carry home, wash hands again, go to car, sanitiser gelon hands, drive home, strip off and travel clothes straight in washing machine, wash hands, turn washing machine on, have shower and wash hair, PJs on, clean phone, keys and everything that we've had out the house, wash hands, clean worksurface where these items have been, wash hands again and then and only then can I touch food.

Blimey .... yes, I take the point.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 April 20 10:25 BST (UK) »
      :o     That is NOT exactly what I wrote, but.....
I DO take the point.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 May 20 12:46 BST (UK) »
mowsehowse, I have just started a general reminder about Mass Observation  Diary Day event just in case people might miss this thread. . So now they have two opportunities to learn about this event.  :)

I think no doubt this year will be particularly significant and of great historical importance for people to read in the future.

https://www.awarenessdays.com/awareness-days-calendar/local-and-community-history-month-2020/

It is also now local and community history month in May.  Shame that so many events have had to be cancelled this year.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 May 20 15:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks RTL I've been doing the mass Obs day for a few years now and I'm sure this years will make interesting reading in a few years to come.... it would be interesting if someone has done a daily one throug this period for a book to be published like Nella Lasts one which I so enjoyed reading.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK