Author Topic: Man Cleans & Transforms Grave Memorials During Lockdown  (Read 416 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Man Cleans & Transforms Grave Memorials During Lockdown
« on: Tuesday 28 April 20 20:46 BST (UK) »
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-family-use-lockdown-to-clean-gravestones-11979632

I have recently come across this interesting article about a man who (with the help of his family and permission from a local vicar) has been cleaning up grave stones.

Looking at the photos shown, what a transformation he has brought about!  If I was a descendant of one of the inscribed I would be so grateful and what a contribution to local history!

Several months before lockdown, I had signed up with Find A Grave and had been trying to contribute to local history too by taking photos of memorials at my local cemeteries and putting them up on the site.  I have sometimes come across this type of gravestone and have thought how sad it is that the inscription has been lost.   So I think it is a very kind thing which this man (and his family) are doing.

Sadly, I have since given up as going to cemeteries to take photos for Find A Grave as it doesn't seem to come under the remit of the lockdown.  (Albeit the man in the article is going to a Churchyard ???).  Sometimes it is puzzling to know what might or might not be permitted.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Man Cleans & Transforms Grave Memorials During Lockdown
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 21:34 BST (UK) »
I did see that, wonderful job.  I believe it was done under the "daily exercise" criteria.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Man Cleans & Transforms Grave Memorials During Lockdown
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 21:49 BST (UK) »
They look fantastic, what a great job.

I read an article some years ago about old gravestones and what to do if there's ivy covering them etc. It was quite a long article, certainly made me aware that I shouldn't pull at plants covering them, they need more gentle treatment. After that I'd just gently move it slightly to read inscriptions, making sure that I didn't pull at any that was attached. Haven't visited any graves for a few years, something else to do when we're allowed.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales