Author Topic: surname CLAVERANTS / CLARYVINCE in Essex, White Notley/Bures/Dunmow?  (Read 1509 times)

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: surname CLAVERANTS / CLARYVINCE in Essex, White Notley/Bures/Dunmow?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 May 20 11:56 BST (UK) »
I would start with Chappel as after the death of Judith 1787 in Wakes Colne all further burials are at Chappel.
Even "wife of George" 1771 of Wakes Colne was buried at Chappel so it would seem the family moved in that direction.
Thank you, I really appreciate the pointers!
Essex/Suffolk and further afield where linked - Partridge, Elliott, Beckwith, Lewsey, Owers, Appelton, Josselyn, Sewell, Lindsell and loads of others!

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 May 20 14:59 BST (UK) »
One witness was Ann Claverants - I think I have matched Ann to marrying John Baker in Mount Bures in 1827. Ann is also on the 1851 Census with her 2nd husband James Sawyer, and it states her birthplace as Dunmow? (Dunmere, Essex). So could she be a sibling or relative of Hannah?

Looking at Ann in 1851 in Mount Bures she is 44.
Possible death in 1852 and burial at Mount Bures, 18 July 1852. Age 46
BT here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-YSLS-XV4?i=167&cc=1465710&cat=489162

Is this a possible baptism at Great Dunmow, 14 Dec 1806, as Anne Cavey(?) Base born daughter of Charlotte
BT
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-YSL6-R9B?i=488&cat=492103

There is a settlement record or two in Great Dunmow in 1808 for a Charlotte Clarrey. But don't have access.

Then a marriage at Great Dunmow, 4 May 1808, Peter Watts and Charlotte Clary
They are both still alive in 1861 when Charlotte is 79, born Great Dunmow. Though I can't see a likely baptism of a Charlotte there.
There is though a baptism of a Charlotte Claryvance at Wakes Colne, 8 July 1784, a daughter of George and Judith.
And Peter and Charlotte Watts did have a daughter called Judith baptized at Great Dunmow, 29 May 1814
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-YSL6-RHK?i=519&cat=492103

So might it be that Charlotte Claryvance from Walkes Colne, the Charlotte who gave birth to a daughter Ann in Dunmow in 1806, and the lady who married Peter Watts there are all the same person?
Which would explain Ann at least. But she would only be 11 or 12 when Hannah married in White Notley in 1818.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 May 20 15:26 BST (UK) »
Death?
COLLARD, HANNAH       
Age at Death (in years): 49 
GRO Reference: 1844  S Quarter in BRAINTREE, ESSEX  Volume 12  Page 16

Buried at White Notley, 14 August 1844.
Puts her born around 1795.

Now if this name can appear in shortened form, could it bring in a baptism at Bradwell juxta Coggeshall :-\
8 February 1795
Hannah Clarry
parents John and Elizabeth

Getting two transcripts on ancestry, as Cary and Carry.
Plenty of siblings there, including an Ann in 1798.

But I'm not entirely convinced :(

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 May 20 16:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you jonw65 for both of those considerations - that is Hannah's death as far as I have found.
I'm intrigued by the shortened name to Clary, as her illegitimate daughter, Hannah Margaret Clarrywince (sp var), I think did this on one of the GRO refs for her children (I've seen it somewhere!).

Hannah is a name that sticks out so the Bradwell bap is a thought, no other Hannahs have popped up yet - I had hoped with the illeg daughter also having Margaret as a middle name might reflect Hannah snr's mother...wishful thinking!

The Ann witness link could be the Bradwell link :-\ I do think it's definitely a sibling, but the Bures link could be totally me clutching at straws!!
Really appreciate the time and thought you've given to this! :)
Essex/Suffolk and further afield where linked - Partridge, Elliott, Beckwith, Lewsey, Owers, Appelton, Josselyn, Sewell, Lindsell and loads of others!

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 May 20 16:57 BST (UK) »
Interestingly John Clary m Elizabeth Cottis 1787 Bradwell juxta C - there's an Elizabeth Cottis bap Faulkbourne 1862 - so that's a hypothetical link to White Notley - Cressing and Bradwell are all in close proximity.

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 May 20 09:21 BST (UK) »

Here's an early form of the name, in the Court of Common Pleas, 1565 Easter term, third entry:
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT5/Eliz/CP40no1232/aCP40no1232fronts/IMG_0570.htm

Essex. John Baron, of West Hannyngfeld, yeoman, versus William Claryvance, of Margettinge or Margaretynge, drover, for a debt of 30 pounds (and others).

Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 May 20 10:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you jonw65 for both of those considerations - that is Hannah's death as far as I have found.
I'm intrigued by the shortened name to Clary, as her illegitimate daughter, Hannah Margaret Clarrywince (sp var), I think did this on one of the GRO refs for her children (I've seen it somewhere!).

Hannah is a name that sticks out so the Bradwell bap is a thought, no other Hannahs have popped up yet - I had hoped with the illeg daughter also having Margaret as a middle name might reflect Hannah snr's mother...wishful thinking!

The Ann witness link could be the Bradwell link :-\ I do think it's definitely a sibling, but the Bures link could be totally me clutching at straws!!
Really appreciate the time and thought you've given to this! :)

Ann Clary bapt B juxta C on 15/07/1798 with same parents. Could be the Ann you're looking for
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 May 20 10:56 BST (UK) »
Ann Clary married William Stanes at B-j-C on 5 May 1828 wit James Wallis and Elizabeth Wallis and William Neal (William Neal seems to have witnessed lots of marriages so poss parish clerk)
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 May 20 11:01 BST (UK) »
Looks like brother Charles bapt 19 Jul 1801 B-j-C same parents