Author Topic: Andrew Boyd Ballymena Co Antrim  (Read 706 times)

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Andrew Boyd Ballymena Co Antrim
« on: Wednesday 29 April 20 04:27 BST (UK) »
Am searching for a marriage c 1820-1830 between Andrew Boyd and Elizabeth McCulloch most probably Catholic Parish. The only detail I have is that they were from Ballymena. One son, John Boyd b 1831 came to Australia in the mid 1850' s.
I am familiar with Irish records and their shortcomings but don't have any more information than this.
Many thanks
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Boyd Ballymena Co Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 06:37 BST (UK) »
If the marriage was RC and in Ballymena, then there are no records to search. Ballymena is in the parish of Kirkinriola. Their RC records only start in 1840.
Elwyn

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 May 20 12:12 BST (UK) »
Thankyou.. I thought that might be the case.
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 July 20 08:21 BST (UK) »
Just came across this thread since you posted under Antrim Resources & Offers (which isn't for queries) rather than the main Antrim board. Just click on 'report to moderator' and ask for it to be moved to the correct board.

Are you very sure that Andrew Boyd & Elizabeth McCulloch were Catholic/would have been married in a Catholic ceremony? McCulloch (McCullough & other variations) can be either Catholic or Protestant but Boyd is more commonly a 'Protestant' surname (strongly Presbyterian).
Unfortunately the dates you are looking at are very early for church records of any denomination so it may be impossible to find any trace of them in Ireland. Have you considered that the son John Boyd might have gone to Australia with a relative or perhaps either joined one there or had relatives join him?
'Ballymena' covers a fairly wide area, by Irish standards at least, and most of that area is rural. It wasn't uncommon for people overseas to give the name of the nearest large town as their homeplace rather than the townland where the family actually lived.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 July 20 08:51 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of deaths (as well as births & Catholic marriages started 1864 with non-Catholic marriages from 1845). I took a quick look for 'Andrew Boyd' deaths in Ballymena registration district in 1800s and found this example-

Andrew Boyd, age 84, weaver, married, died 5 Feb.1889 at Drumrankin, Craigs Parish (outside Ballymena town) with informant being son James-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1889/06154/4758255.pdf
https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/toome-lower/craigs/drumrankin/

Two other certificates not yet online will eventually be added to the same site- Andrew Boyd, age 80, died 1876 & Andrew Boyd, age 71, died 1871. Any of these 3 could be the correct one but equally Andrew could have died before 1864 or in another district.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!