Author Topic: Guardian article on how people cope with lockdown  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Guardian article on how people cope with lockdown
« on: Wednesday 29 April 20 10:10 BST (UK) »
Funny old world isn't it?  Here I am self-isolating with my daughter and I end up featuring in an article in today's Guardian (final para).   I do all sorts of stuff in my 'normal' life and remain fairly invisible; I stay at home and get featured in the national press.   ;D

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/apr/28/lost-henge-digging-archaeology-online-during-lockdown
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Guardian article on how people cope with lockdown
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 10:39 BST (UK) »
I saw that but didn't like to say anything  :D

Have you found anything else?

I was interviewed by ONS yesterday about how things had changed since the lockdown.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 10:47 BST (UK) »
Funny old world isn't it?  Here I am self-isolating with my daughter and I end up featuring in an article in today's Guardian (final para).   I do all sorts of stuff in my 'normal' life and remain fairly invisible; I stay at home and get featured in the national press.   ;D

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/apr/28/lost-henge-digging-archaeology-online-during-lockdown

Aw that's brilliant, i bet that brightened up your day, I hadn't heard of that! do keep us posted on any finds. If you find a two carat diamond ring, it will be the one I lost  ;D ;D

Was it live Gadget, is it yet to be broadcast like Podcast?

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 11:22 BST (UK) »
Oh do keep us informed Gadget; strange how this crisis impacts on us in unusual ways.

Well Carol I have found a very small piece of yellow slipware which got me very excited; I've also found an old screwdriver and lots of pieces of coal.  But as yet I'm afraid no sign of that diamond ring but if it turns up I will of course be in touch.   ;D    What I really want is the gold torc I'm positive must be down there somewhere!
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 11:25 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D ....keep digging, you may just find some old bones of an ancient warrior..or...end up in Australia  ;D ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Greensleeves and All

Thanks for sharing that article

I think this is the key ...
But a couple of days ago when sitting in my trench with my brush and my palette knife, I suddenly realised that I actually felt happy and unstressed – both feelings somewhat alien to me currently.”

Whilst showing compassion to others and helping family, trying to think about or doing something we personally find positive or that really interests us, can give us a tiny relief or outlet, from family health upsets, my own personal family loss and the current situation.

I have a health condition which has no cure, but waking up every morning is so precious and wonderful because it means another day of life, despite everything awful going on around me and being locked down.

Take care and best wishes, Mark

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 13:31 BST (UK) »
An interesting distraction, GS ... something about losing yourself in that sort of way as Mark has said ... quite nice that the Guardian found you doing it though  :D

Also a bit exciting to have that tenuous association with someone in the news, on TV or radio we find  :D ... particularly when it is positive of course, happened yesterday for us on local TV.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 14:33 BST (UK) »
I agree with you Mark - the realisation that I actually felt happy and was so engrossed in unearthing bits of brick and charcoal that I wasn't worrying was amazing.  What is this feeling - this absence of fretting - I asked myself.  You're right of course - if we can find positive things to concentrate on it makes life so much more bearable.

My true reason for digging my trench though is so that I can escape to the Antipodes; so get the kettle on Mare!   ;D  (What was your bit of fame yesterday?)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 14:52 BST (UK) »
How exciting Greensleeves! (both the dig and the mention in the press)  ;D

I would love to find something exciting in my garden, but no chance of that.