Author Topic: Carauskas family in Maine in the early 20th century  (Read 189 times)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carauskas family in Maine in the early 20th century
« on: Wednesday 29 April 20 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I am doing some research into the family of a friend of mine. Her grandfather Kasimir Malinauskas migrated from Lithuania (or Russia as it then was) to the US on the SS Amerika in 1906. The Ellis Island arrival record records his name as "Kasimir Malinowski" (found on IGI).

The arrival record states that Kasimir had a "brother" Antanus/Anton Caraukus/Cyraukus in Lewiston, Maine. I think I have found this relative in the 1910 US census in the Androscoggin County Jail, aged 38 and born in Russia/Lithuania.

The census record states that Anton was married and had been for 5 years. I would like to find the rest of Anton's family in the 1910 US census if possible. I would like to find his marriage record from about 1905. I would also like to find his immigration record. I can't seem to find any of these. I would be very grateful for any help.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Carauskas family in Maine in the early 20th century
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 14:22 BST (UK) »
This appears to be immigration record for Kasimir Malinowski in 1906 you mention.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JF8W-NY3

He is on line 8, but who is that "Josef Szimkunas" on line 9?

They are both going to see Anton Caraukas in Lewiston, Maine. It also appears Anton Caraukas is a Brother-In-Law to both of them not, brother??

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carauskas family in Maine in the early 20th century
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi RJ137, yes I think you are right, Anton Caraukas must be a brother-in-law somehow to both men who arrived on the SS Amerika in 1906. I'm sorry, I don't know who Josef Szimkunas is or how he connects with the family.

If the 1910 census record is right, Anton immigrated in about 1900 and married in about 1905. The Maine vital records are on IGI but I couldn't find a marriage record there easily.