Author Topic: Lightwood from Biddenham / Clapham  (Read 647 times)

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lightwood from Biddenham / Clapham
« on: Wednesday 29 April 20 13:13 BST (UK) »
Dear all,

I am currently researching the Lightwood family from Biddenham, of which at a certain point one family ups and moves to Clapham. I'm now trying to find out what happened to them after Clapham. Did they die/marry there (can't find any proof yet)? Did they move back to Biddenham? Did the family just die out when none of the children married?

This is what I already know:
John Lightwood (labourer, later thatcher), baptised 31 Aug 1701, most likely the 6th of 9 children of John Lightwood and his wife Elizabeth (older siblings Richard, Mary, Judith, Jane, Sarah, younger brothers William, Francis, Edward).
John Jr was first married first to a lady called Sarah (maiden name unknown, no marriage found), who dies 2 March 1729. Their children were Richard (1724), Mary (1726-1730) and possibly William (+1737).
He then goes on to marry Sarah Johnson in 1735, and with her he has first child Mary (1735). These two families were both Biddenham.
Then the family up and move to Clapham, where another five children were born: Sarah (1737), Lucy (1738, who strangely enough is buried back in Biddenham in 1739), William (1740), John 1743 and Francis (1745, buried in Oakley later in 1745). William may have died in Clapham (buried Oakley) in 1761.

After that I find no trace of this family, so if there's anyone researching this family, could you please share your findings with me, or help me look at some records? I live on the continent so all I can research is online. I do have access to ancestry and familysearch, not findmypast.

There is another Lightwood family in Biddenham in the 1780s and 90s, when John and Judith Lightwood have their children baptised. But there seems to be a gap of at least a whole generation in between these families.

Any help is most welcome!
Thanks in advance  :)

Regards,
Lexi.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lightwood from Biddenham / Clapham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 13:46 BST (UK) »
Have you access to Beds Parish Registers for the period up to 1812...
Oakley, Clapham & Biddenham are in this volume

https://archive.org/details/bedfordshirepari16bedf/page/n5/mode/2up

Cheers John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 14:32 BST (UK) »
Yes: I have the Clapham CD with all the records (ordered it a few years ago) so I looked at that: only five baptisms for Lightwoods, that's it. No marriages or burials (but the latter was done in Oakley (see below).
Oakley has the burials for Francis Lightwood of Clapham, a child, on 22 Oct 1745, and April 1761 (quite illegible, so a guess) a burial for (probably) William Litfood of Clapham. No other Lightwoods, only LightFooTs, but not sure if they're the same family and a writing error of the priest due to some local accent.
A friend of mine went through Biddenham for me and found what I summarised above, as well as the families of John Jr's brothers and sisters. I even made a whole spreadsheet for them, the only thing I can't find (yet) is the connection between the Lightwood brothers & their children, and that ONE family that is there in the 1780s-90s.

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 18:25 BST (UK) »
I've done some lateral research and I think the two 'leftover' brothers half-brothers Richard (1724) and John (1743) end up in Bedford (St Paul's):

Richard Lightfoot x Lydia Bennet (m 31-10-1749, Bedford St Paul's, as are all baptisms)
- Mary 1752
- John 1754 (he is most likely the one who goes back to Biddenham and has those children in the 1780s-90s)
- Lydia 1758
- Elizabeth 1760
- Frances 1763

John Lightfoot x Penelope (haven't found a marriage yet, but baptisms all St Paul's again)
- Sarah 1766
- Mary 1768-1782
- William 1771
- Penelope 1774
- John 1778-1781

Could they be the Lightwood brothers from Biddenham, later Clapham?

I noticed that the Bedford St Paul's records weren't between those Parish Registers, is that correct?

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 20:09 BST (UK) »
John Lightwood, bach, married Penelope Allison, spinster, at Bedford St.Pauls  on 10 Feb 1763

They may have had daughter Penelope baptised 1774 St.Paul's who married there 1803.
Penelope Lightwood buried St.Paul's in 1797

The St.Paul's parish registers are not in the set of volumes that are available online

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 20:47 BST (UK) »
Yeah, names like Penelope are so much easier to research than Mary...

Offline Lexi73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 20:48 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately all my ancestors seem to be called John, hopeless guys...