Author Topic: WAAF photo Leighton Buzzard  (Read 1009 times)

Online tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WAAF photo Leighton Buzzard
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 July 21 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi if you Google

Leighton Buzzard Observer.

Our local paper has an article on RAF Wing and the unveiling of a memorial to the men and women of No. 26 Operational Training  Unit . It was postponed due to Covid and unveiled on 1st July 2021.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valerie231059

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 July 21 20:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you IMBER
I was hoping someone would recognize the dress. Mum passed away back in 1984 but I had this memory that she once told me she prepared or served the food. Sadly she didn't give me any other details. After the war she married my dad and they went back to farm work, later she worked for Coty in Middlesex and then worked for Rimmel. Mum had good friends wherever she worked and lots of memories.

Offline pdadme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 October 21 14:41 BST (UK) »
My Mum was in the WAAF stationed at Leighton Buzzard. She said that she worked at RAF Leighton Buzzard, but was Billeted at Wing, presumably in the WAAF houses in Cublington Road.
Her father (my grandpa) was a Squadron Leader in the RAF, whilst both her brothers were in the RAF. Her youngest brother David MAYO was killed when shot down over Sint Niklaas in Belgium returning from a raid over Duisburg in a Lancaster bomber, two weeks before D-Day. Her other brother (Philip) flew Spitfires in the Battle of Britain, before going on to fly mosquitoes in the pathfinders. She was in Coventry when it was blitzed, and joined the Air Force soon after.
Mum was posted to RAF Leighton Buzzard in December 1941 according to her service record, and stayed there until demobbed in January 1946. She said that the whole place was underground and was top secret. Leighton Buzzard was the central communications hub for the whole of the UK, and they discovered after the war that there was an exact copy of the whole place at The Grove in Watford, in case it was bombed.
She was ACW1 [Aircraft woman] in the WAAF, which I assume to be equivalent to being A/B in the Navy. She is listed as ACH/teleprinter [Aircraft Hand], and she told me that she was trained in repair and maintenance of teleprinters as well as typing. She seemed to enjoy working there, and said they had a lot of fun.
Coincidentally, (or maybe not) David was radio operator on his Lancaster, and Grandpa R.G.E MAYO worked for GEC at Wembley, being involved in research into radio.
Mum is the taller of the two ladies in the attached photo, which may well have been taken at Leighton Buzzard or Wing

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 November 21 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
his book is worth a read, The Secrets of Q Central, How Leighton Buzzard Shortened the War.
I'm currently trying to find out what a cousin of my mothers did as a WAAF at Leighton Buzzard and am  now reading the above book. https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=853547.msg7215436#msg7215436. The back cover mentions "...the secret communications centre for Britain ... attracted a dozen other clandestine organizations ... The headquarters of radar, RAF Group 60 also came to Leighton Buzzard. ... the largest telephone exchange in the world ... more than 1000 teleprinters communicating with all the armed services in every theatre of war ..."
she once told me she prepared or served the food
From the above book " ... Because of the lack of facilities for both sexes a large canteen was built for the Navy, Army and Air Force Institutes, better known as the NAAFI, and another for WAAFs by the Young Women's Christian Association".
Hughes - Llangedwyn, Llanfechain, Llanrhaiadr, Llansilin
Roberts - Llandisilio, Montgomeryshire
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Mitchell - Windygates, Fife
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell

Offline pdadme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile