Author Topic: WAAF photo Leighton Buzzard  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Valerie231059

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WAAF photo Leighton Buzzard
« on: Wednesday 29 April 20 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
The photos attached are of my mum Ruby Bentley, one when she was 18yrs. The other with friends taken at the Sgts Mess RAF Wing Leighton Buzzard.
Ruby 21
Louise
Joyce
Diana

Can anyone tell me what they would have done?  Mum never said. Looks like she had some nice friends.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: WAAF photo Leighton Buzzard
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 April 20 00:31 BST (UK) »
Leighton Buzzard is only a couple of stations along from Bletchley.  Perhaps they were working at Bletchley Park.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 April 20 09:22 BST (UK) »
The WAAF at Wing had their own site near to the village. RAF Wing was built on the Cublington road and I remember seeing lots of the old stores still scattered around up into the 1980....mostly on the farms. I think a chicken farm was built on a big part of it when it closed.

As an active airfield they could have carried out radar and tracking duties as well as communication duties.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 April 20 10:19 BST (UK) »
If they were at the Sergeants Mess they may have been stewardesses.

Offline DB10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 April 20 14:51 BST (UK) »
Courtesy of Wiki....
"RAF Wing was primarily a bomber training airfield. First flight was in March 1942. It consisted of five hangars, three concrete runways, offices, a canteen, rest rooms, blast shelters, ammunition and bomb dumps, radio and telegraph rooms, training blocks, church, gym, squash court, rugby and football field, tailors, barbers, shoemakers, Post Office, a cinema, and stores."
Members of the Women's Auxiliary Air Force had their own site close to Wing village on Cublington Road, much of which can still be seen today. There was also a hospital constructed close to Cublington that is still partially standing. It even had a new sewage treatment plant constructed which is still in use today.

All in all a very self contained operation.

So what did your mum do there? Well there are plenty of duties that would have been carried out by WAAFs - offices, radio/telegraph operators, or even canteen/cinema duties maybe. Its pretty much impossible to say without further clues.

Any hints in any work she did in later life. Also do you know what date the pictures were taken?

Regards DB10

Please don't use my restores without my permission - thankyou. 😎

Offline Nick Stoke

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 November 20 12:26 GMT (UK) »
These are lovely images, thank you for sharing. I really suggest you get a book called ‘Wings over Wing’ by ex Wing schoolteacher Michael Warth so that you can learn more regarding where your mum worked. Chapter 14 is dedicated to the WAAFs in 26 Operational Training Unit at Wing and they did every type of vital job from wireless operators and teleprinters, to caring for thousands of repatriated allied POWs who were in a terrible condition. If you do have social media like Facebook, I also recommend joining the Stewkley, Wing and Cublington history group and you will see lots more. Not only did the WAAFs on site play a pivotal role day to day, a number lost their lives there in awful aircraft accidents. A few of us are trying to have a memorial placed at the site, before what is left there crumbles away, so if anyone is keen for the same, let the Parish Councils know. I hope it’s ok that I have shared the lovely pictures with the history group to see if they can help more, and do please post anything more you have. Your mum was part of an incredible group of people.

Offline Ssxy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 November 20 20:21 GMT (UK) »
My mother served at Leighton Buzzard as a teleprinter. Many of her fellow WRAFs lived in accommodation at The Grange in nearby Heath and Reach.

This book is worth a read, The Secrets of Q Central, How Leighton Buzzard Shortened the War.

Ssxy

Offline Valerie231059

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 July 21 15:06 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you all for the book recommendation and suggestions.
Sorry for my very late reply.
The group Photo was taken in October 1945
The photo of my mum was taken April 1942

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 July 21 19:57 BST (UK) »
RAF Leighton Buzzard had nothing to do with RAF Wing, that's a completely different location near Aylesbury. Leighton Buzzard was a huge, highly secret establishment and operated as the RAF's Central Exchange and Wireless Telegraph Station for the whole of the UK and beyond. It was later known as RAF Stanbridge. Thousands were based there.

The clothing worn in the photo is very similar to that worn by my WAAF mother in WW2, and she was a cook.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)