Author Topic: Occupation making a comeback!  (Read 976 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Occupation making a comeback!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 April 20 19:59 BST (UK) »
Now then, we could do with a mobile fish and chip shop!
Not just now but always ,by the time you get home often they are cold.

Oooh , I could just eat some now, crispy batter covering white well cooked tasty fish,with crispy chips just a little soft and all swimming in salt and vinegar,with lots of little crispy batter “ scratchings”.

Ah well, again some day .
Keep well everyone.
Going to watch the new version of Great Expectations, wonder if Magwitch will be as scary ?
Viktoria.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 May 20 09:39 BST (UK) »
Don’t think you’d get away with advertising a job for one. You'd need to advertise for an “Errand Youff”.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 May 20 10:34 BST (UK) »
Now then, we could do with a mobile fish and chip shop!
Not just now but always ,by the time you get home often they are cold.

Victoria
We have a very popular mobile pizza van which visits our village once a week and cooks in a rather quaint van.  He has got round the social distancing business by taking orders in advance by phone and payments by BACS.  The pizzas are freshly cooked outside your door  and you dash out and collect them from a point in between the van and your door.  Very tasty and, since other delivery pizza firms don't venture as far as the village, they provide a welcome night off occasion for home cooks.  No mobile chip shop, though, unfortunately. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 May 20 17:14 BST (UK) »
The last time we had a piza from a mobile van it was excellent. We were spending a few days at Sandringham, as you do, nothing posh, just on the campsite down the road from the junction where people tend to have accidents!

Online tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Billyf,

Your mention of the horse and cart bakers comments reminded me of when I was young (A few years ago now ) coming from a large family plus one or two other families we used to go to our local co-op bakery at teatime and wait for the bakers delivery vans to get back and if there was any cakes or bread/cobs left the lady in the bakery used to share them out to us for a nominal fee.As in them times they could not sell them the next day and were thrown away not like today.
It did us no harm as we are all still here today.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 15:57 BST (UK) »
I imagine that due to the lockdown Knocker Up is coming back into fashion, just not in the original sense.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 16:07 BST (UK) »
When you think of them handling the horse harness ,blocks etc ,nose bag
the breadmen were not at all hygienic by today’s standards were they,but did you ever know anyone killed by that seeming lack of hygiene?
I find it strange that housework has changed so much, hygiene looms large yet some awful things go on.
When washing was done more or less by hand, it was sorted , things like the tea towels and tablecloths were done first,they were never mixed with underclothes and towels etc. The whites were boiled and were very clean.
Now all in together and often at only 30 degrees.
Still I haven’t heard of anyone dying from 30 degree washing.!
But to handle an unwrapped loaf after attending to a horse, mmm-.
Mind you my mother was paranoid ,but then we had a food shop.
Mother’s Pride was the bread I remember delivered by horse and cart.
We could be too clean nowadays.
People don’t develop any immunity.
I was ever so pernickety with my small children,then when my daughter was ill, the Doctor said” Ah, finally she has met a germ!”
Cheerio, my order from Tesco has come ,I am sure they have doubled up on everything I will have to look online, unless——- they know something I don’t know!!
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dad age abt 20. x
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 18:46 BST (UK) »
It was the co op that came round, I think it was a red cart. Funnily enough, I don`t remember it coming down our road, we lived opposite the police station where my father worked, but what I can remember is the mortuary attendant coming to the police station in his bubble car, it was turqouise.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 23:06 BST (UK) »
It would do us all some good to go back to basics after lockdown is lifted.
 The ice-cream man on his three wheeled bike selling ice cream wafers and cornets ringing a hand held bell to signal his arrival in the days before "Mr. Whippy" with his Greensleeves theme tune. The rag and bone man with his balloons and windmills for the kids in exchange for empty jam jars. Then the fruit seller pushing his handcart laden with fresh fruit, tossing the Gammy fruit to the kids that he couldn't sell. Hot cake man selling them warm from the back of his van.
Life then seemed a lot easier then in many ways. A skipping rope, bat and ball or a pocket full marbles gave hours of entertainment until we were called in for tea!!!
Oh well, those days are long gone, the problems were a lot different then but non the less troublesome.
I will now take off my rose tinted glasses  ;D
Oh for the day that we regain the freedom that we took for granted before it was taken away from us.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU