Author Topic: Hilda Maree Olsen  (Read 3395 times)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hilda Maree Olsen
« Reply #18 on: Monday 04 May 20 09:32 BST (UK) »
I'd like to state though that we must prove this is her first. It does look as though it could be her.

Ian

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 May 20 20:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the explanation of the Swedish family naming arrangements. I am hoping we have the right Hilda and this can hopefully be confirmed when the marriage certificate arrives and we can confirm her fathers name. GRO are stating that there will be delays in the dispatch dates so not sure when it will arrive. I do feel though she is the correct Hilda.

With all the information provided we have so far........ Hilda Maria Olsen was born 5th April 1857 in Forlosa Parish, Smaland, Sweden. In 1872, aged 15, she moved to Stockholm. On the 27th January 1882, aged 25, she left Goteborg for Hull with a forward ticket from Liverpool  to New York, arriving 15th February 1882.We know she married William Llewellyn in 1886 in Grimsby UK and died on the 20th June 1887 in Holles Street Grimsby.

I just wonder if she actually got on the boat to New York as when you look at the passenger list there is no tick against her name whilst most passengers have been ticked. Perhaps she met my great Grandfather in Grimsby, fell in love and stayed in the UK.  Then again maybe I can find a record on the Ellis Island immigration records of her arrival and if I do then also the record of her return trip to the UK.
With all the information Ian has provided I have so much more knowledge of Hilda who up to a few weeks ago I did not know of her at all.
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton
Llewellyn - Cardiff & Pembroke

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 11:56 BST (UK) »

Then again maybe I can find a record on the Ellis Island immigration records of her arrival and if I do then also the record of her return trip to the UK.

Hi
The passenger list from FamilySearch I posted is the one from Castle Garden, New York.
Ellis Island opened 1892.

Ian

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 12:19 BST (UK) »
Reading my post again I meant to say I was going to look for a record of her returning from New York (if indeed she ever went) as of course you had previously sent me the passenger list for Castle Garden, sorry I got confused.Never knew about Castle Garden before you mentioned it and had a good read about it online.

Did you have any thoughts about the missing tick against her name on the passenger list. I presume the arriving ship would give the Castle Garden authorities the passenger list but if someone failed to turn up for the sailing why would their name still be on the list? Perhaps the USA authorities had their own separate immigration records that might be online?, I will have to find out. Do you know if there are passenger records for people arriving into the UK from USA online?

Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 12:33 BST (UK) »
No worries. I just thought I would clear that up.

Ancestry has "UK and Ireland, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960".
Ancestry has a free week at the moment for all UK records.

I have no idea what the tick could mean, sorry.

Ian

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 May 20 19:58 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has "UK and Ireland, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960".
Ancestry has a free week at the moment for all UK records.

I have checked the records for passenger lists from USA to UK for years 1882 when she left Liverpool for New York, 1883,1884,1885,1886 when she was in Grimsby England getting married. Cannot find any record for a Hilda Maria Olsen in any of these years so maybe she never travelled to New York although she had a ticket and was on the passenger list.  Probably will never know but have learnt so much about Hilda since my first post. Just waiting for the marriage certificate to arrive but I understand there are naturally delays due to the current pandemic.
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
As per your info from the pm:

The info you got isn't quite accurate. This Hilda was a foster child of this family. She died in Sweden in 1925.

Birth:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pg2/

Family in 1870:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pg3/

Her alone as Hilda Maria Nilsdotter in 1870 as a foster child- line 9:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pg4/

Death:
Carlsson nee Nilsson, Hilda Maria
Dead 13 Jul 1925.
Registered in Kalmar (Kalmar län, Småland).
Born 8 Apr 1857 (no place of birth)
Widow

Ian

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 10:30 BST (UK) »
"Well that has knocked that on the head" Died in 1925 rules her out so we are left with waiting for the marriage certificate and her fathers name.

The only connection I can find with Hilda living in Grimsby albeit for a short time was her husbands brother in law was also from Sweden and was a Charles V? Westin. I shall start a new post on the Lincolnshire page so I do not confuse this post.
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 10:33 BST (UK) »
Ok. I'll take a look here in Sweden for Charles.

Ian