Author Topic: Old Parish Registers Banns and Marriages  (Read 619 times)

Offline McKelvieClan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Parish Registers Banns and Marriages
« on: Thursday 30 April 20 20:34 BST (UK) »
I have paid on SP to view a marriage record dated 1827.  It only details the name of the couple, the date and where the marriage took place.  Then it says 2 days.  What does this mean please?

There  is not much information.  No names of the couple’s parents and no witness names.  There  is an adjoining page but it has not been reproduced.  Is this the amount of information you receive from the old parish registers?

Thanks

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Old Parish Registers Banns and Marriages
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 April 20 20:39 BST (UK) »
'There  is not much information.  No names of the couple’s parents and no witness names.  There  is an adjoining page but it has not been reproduced.  Is this the amount of information you receive from the old parish registers? '

Short answer, yes.

The adjoining page will probably be totally unrelated to your couple's marriage, but will have other couples' marriages.

Do a google search for typical Scottish parish records to see how different parishes recorded weddings.

Or read the information on the scotlandspeople website.

Offline McKelvieClan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 April 20 21:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying.  It’s amazing these records have survived. 

I am just chuffed I have traced one of the ancestors this far back. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 April 20 21:37 BST (UK) »
I have paid on SP to view a marriage record dated 1827.  It only details the name of the couple, the date and where the marriage took place.  Then it says 2 days.  What does this mean please?
It means that their banns had been called on 2 days.

There  is not much information.  No names of the couple’s parents and no witness names.  There  is an adjoining page but it has not been reproduced.  Is this the amount of information you receive from the old parish registers?
Some are more informative.

Sometimes you only get the name of the groom. Other information you might get might be the dates when the banns were called, the couple's residences, the groom's occupation, the date of the wedding ceremony and the name of the officiating minister. Less often you might get the name of the bride's father, or where the wedding ceremony took place. I have been told that some records contain the name of the groom's father or the names of the couple's mother, but I personally have never seen a marriage record that contained that information.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 April 20 22:56 BST (UK) »
As others have pointed out, it all depends.

In my experience, the father of a bride or groom was more likely to be named if he was, or had previously been, deacon of a trade or if he owned property, but even this depended on the minister who was recording the info.

I have at least one marriage entry where the bride's name is missing. (And any other records that might have identified her no longer exist, so I'm probably out of luck. I know the guy got married and had children but...)

Congratulations on tracing your ancestor back to 1827!

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters