Author Topic: May 24th - Mark 'Northumbrian Day' with a Freebmd Postem  (Read 820 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
May 24th - Mark 'Northumbrian Day' with a Freebmd Postem
« on: Friday 01 May 20 13:17 BST (UK) »
https://www.awarenessdays.com/awareness-days-calendar/northumberland-day-2020/

On 24th May is Northumberland Day 2020.  So many events have been cancelled this year. 

However, I was wondering if we might mark this day by placing postems on Freebmd for 'Northumbrians' on the occasion?

This might be some birth,marriage or death info that you have for an ancestor or something else that you may have found out such as a marriage date from a newspaper, etc.

I think this will be a great way to mark the day from home and boost Northumbrian family history for ourselves and others if lots of us join in. 

I know lots of us add postems anyway but I think it would be nice to purposefully mark this special day when it arrives.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline WhiskyMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: May 24th - Mark 'Northumbrian Day' with a Freebmd Postem
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 May 20 18:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for posting this River Tyne Lass. I've not noticed this feature on Freebmd, that's very interesting.

I'll pass on the date to my northern relatives.

WhiskyMac   ;)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 May 20 19:18 BST (UK) »
May 24 th was Empire Day,parades of horses all decked out in brasses and ribbons and cockades,horses were very prominent ,used for most local
journeys.
Delivering beer,bread,coke,beams of cotton from the mills to the printers etc.
When the Empire became The Commonwealth, the celebrations did not really transfer.
I did not know it was Northumberland Day, is it just for this year?
Thanks.
Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 May 20 11:14 BST (UK) »
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/postems-help.html

Thanks for these responses.  :)

The link in my first post says this is the fourth year of Northumberland day so I presume this will be happening every year now.   :)

It will be great to commerate this anyway with postems even though many events are now cancelled.  I also understand that although the GRO is still working they can now only operate a delayed service so a postem might be more appreciated than ever just now.

I have included a link about postems which explain further about what they are and how to use them.

This is something anyone can participate in as a RAGK (Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness) for Northumbrians - we don't just have to put postems for our own Northumbrian ancestors - although this too would be great.

http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk

The Guild Marriage Locator website for instance, might help a RootsChatter find out where some unknown  couple married Newcastle for instance and they could add a postem on that.

So come on RootsChatters, please join in on 24th May as Genealogy Santas and do something to raise cheer and happiness.  Hopefully, some of us then might get a few nice surprises on 25th May or thereafter when we check entries for our Northumbrian ancestors. :D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 May 20 08:58 BST (UK) »
Happy Northumberland Day Everyone!

Just a reminder ...

Please help commemorate this today with a birth, marriage or death info postem on Freebmd.  You never know, this might turn out to be just the info someone with a Northumbrian ancestor has been seeking. 

For anyone unfamiliar with postems these are easy to add.  Just click on 'info' on the right side of an entry and scroll to 'add postem' and click on that.

Sometimes it can take up to 24 hours to appear at the side of an entry as a little yellow envelope which will reveal the info when clicked on. 

So many events have been cancelled this year but this is an opportunity to mark the day anyway with a small good deed of making a postem to help another researcher.

Please join in today!

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 May 20 17:31 BST (UK) »
Didn't have any Northumberland ones to add, but I added 30 full marriage details from Co. Durham today.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 May 20 22:26 BST (UK) »
Wow!  :D Thank you Boo!  That is amazing!  You have likely saved a lot of people a fortune in sending off for certs.  Sorry for the late reply.  I have just finished work now.  Well done you ... that must have taken ages. 

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 May 20 17:26 BST (UK) »
Well they are from a hand written transcript I have so I am working my way through them. Done 1852 to 1872 so far and the transcript goes up to 1890 so they'll keep me occupied for a while longer.

As they are from Durham, for any of mine, I wouldn't buy them from the GRO anyway. Whenever we get back to some sort of normality I'd order a copy of the original register from the Records Office. That would cost me £5 (rather than the GRO £11). They send them by email which saves me scanning them and I'd get the original signatures as its the record they signed, if they were able, on the day they wed. Much nicer in my opinion :-)

Boo