Author Topic: Regina Cottage, Oakfield, Kelty, Fife - 1901 Census  (Read 637 times)

Offline Fifer66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Regina Cottage, Oakfield, Kelty, Fife - 1901 Census
« on: Friday 01 May 20 21:38 BST (UK) »
Looking for help in trying to pinpoint where Regina Cottage, Oakfield, Kelty, Fife was?

My 2 x great grandparents, James Anderson born 1839  & Janet Sharp born 1845 & family stayed at this address in 1901 census.

I’ve checked old maps of Kelty area etc but can’t find exactly where this Cottage was? Tried various searches but unable to pinpoint.

Thanks for any assistance.
Fife - Anderson, Farquhar, Graham, Greenhill, Hume, Paton, Sharp, Penman, Birrell, Christie
Edinburgh / Midlothian - Graham, Watt, Cunningham, Hume, Kerr, Farquhar, McAlpine, Weddell, Stirling, Liddell, Eckford, Finnie
Queensland, Australia - Greenhill
NSW, Australia - Anderson
California, USA - Watt
Alabama, USA - Watt
Missouri, USA - Farquhar
Quebec, Canada - Campbell
Alberta / British Columbia, Canada - Anderson

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Regina Cottage, Oakfield, Kelty, Fife - 1901 Census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 June 20 10:06 BST (UK) »
You need to look at the description of the Enumeration District in 1901, and if possible look at, and make a list in order, the addresses for a few pages on either side of the one with Regina Cottage in it. Then see which of the other addresses you can find on maps.

Did you look at this map https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=56.13159&lon=-3.37775&layers=170&b=1

I had a look in the valuation rolls on Scotland's People and the only James Anderson I found in Oakfield was at 34 Millars Buildings, Oakfield Street, Kelty in 1920. This doesn't sound like a cottage.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.