Author Topic: I just didn`t think clearly !  (Read 974 times)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
I just didn`t think clearly !
« on: Saturday 02 May 20 15:32 BST (UK) »
I`m just not with it sometimes !

My Scots 2 x gt grandmother (illegitimate) Rachel born abt 1826 has eluded me for years and years on the 1841 census, still does !

This afternoon I thought I`d give her another go, no luck, but decided to take a look for her mother, also Rachel, so easy as she was still unmarried and I found her easily. She appears on 1841, and 1851 complete with her sister. The elder Rachel died in 1855 so I`ve got both mother and father as well. Plus siblings, plus father`s baptism and his siblings !

Lots of people to investigate further ! I got the same feeling when I first started, so excited !

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I just didn`t think clearly !
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 May 20 11:39 BST (UK) »
Well done Billy  :D

I just love that feeling too.
Sometimes we get bogged down following just one path untill we have an Eureka moment, for me usually in the middle of a sleepless night !, and we realise there is a different way to approach it.

I'm chuffed for you, also an 1855 is a great one to have as they have the most info due to it being the first year of Statutory Registers in Scotland. It may tell you where she was burried.

Cheers

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 May 20 14:01 BST (UK) »
Yes, it did !! She`s buried in Stichill churchyard; I wish I`d found her earlier as we were up there last year.

I`m glad I`m not the only one to have sleepless nights ! I found myself counting the names on my tree ( in my head ), makes a change form sheep !!

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 May 20 14:48 BST (UK) »
Sometimes coming back to it after a while really does help. Genealogy can be like a puzzle- you just need to bend your way of thinking. It's one of the tricks that enables experienced researchers to find things new people (or even other experienced researchers!) haven't been able to- after a few family mysteries you could end up with a genealogical mind like a corkscrew!

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 May 20 14:53 BST (UK) »
That sums it up exactly !

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 May 20 16:30 BST (UK) »
Well done! I've found the trick of hunting for known siblings in earlier and later censuses can often throw up useful people.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 May 20 11:07 BST (UK) »
One of the best things was finding someone who wasn`t an ag lab or a weaver, not that there`s anything wrong in that; in fact it`s helpful when you come across 2 people with the same name born near to each other.

This one was a confectioner, might explain where I get my sweet tooth from !!!

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 May 20 15:55 BST (UK) »
Well done Billy, I agree with Ayashi, its sometimes a question of tweaking the way you think. Just altering the search criteria can crack that brick wall. Never give up. 
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.