Author Topic: Maiden name for wife Elizabeth Garland?  (Read 728 times)

Offline mainlanders

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maiden name for wife Elizabeth Garland?
« on: Sunday 03 May 20 09:20 BST (UK) »
"Possible baptism
Edward Garland
Baptism 17 Jan 1824
Edlaston, Derbyshire
Parents    Joseph & ELIZABETH Garland
Fathers occupation Labourer
Joseph & ELIZABETH had other children baptised at Edlaston
James 1817     (Joseph & ELIZABETH Marriage before 1817)
William 1820

In 1841 there is a James Garland in Brown Street, Manchester with wife Jane and probable mother ELIZABETH age 60.  James and Elizabeth were not born in Lancashire
HO107/571 bk2 f18 p30"

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Maiden name for wife Elizabeth Garland?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 May 20 09:36 BST (UK) »
Did she have any children after 1837 as GRO will show MMN. Her age could be against her forgot about rounding down, have a look for the marriage.

Have you found James in 1851 to give you where he was born as that may give place of marriage for his parents.
GEDmatch M157477

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 May 20 09:59 BST (UK) »
Across the county border into Staffordshire www.freereg.org.uk has a marriage in St Peter Ellastone of a Joseph Garland and an Elizabeth Grundy. No further details. Ellastone to Edlaston is just under 6 miles.

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 May 20 10:08 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Garland buried Edlaston Parish Church March 1825 aged 45 address I think is Barley Mow or maybe Darley Row.

Elizabeth Grundy baptised at Ellastone Parish Church on 11 June 1780 daughter of James and Alice Grundy.

Joseph Garland buried Edlaston Parish Church 25 April 1833 aged 59 years address is just Edlaston.

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 May 20 10:30 BST (UK) »
James Garland aged 25 was buried at Edlaston Parish Church on 19 September 1842.

In 1841 census Edward Garland is living with John and Sarah Garland. In later census John states born Marchington Staffs. He was baptised on 30 April 1810 at Marchington Staffs son of Joseph and Elizabeth Garland.

Hope all the above helps must go and do my laps round the garden, not allowed out of the garden!

Offline mainlanders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 May 20 10:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gibel, all new info. to me, some things don't match - In 1841 there is a James Garland in Brown Street, Manchester with wife Jane and probable mother ELIZABETH age 60. 
HO107/571 bk2 f18 p30" and Elizabeth Garland buried Edlaston Parish Church March 1825 aged 45 .     

We're allowed to run beyond the garden up into the hills,so I feel grateful after hearing about your garden laps.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 May 20 11:12 BST (UK) »
Did she have any children after 1837 as GRO will show MMN. Her age could be against her forgot about rounding down, have a look for the marriage.

Have you found James in 1851 to give you where he was born as that may give place of marriage for his parents.

Although the age on 1841 census was supposed to be rounded down I have found a few that gave the exact age including the number of weeks for babies.

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 May 20 11:49 BST (UK) »
There’s a James Garland in Holland Ward Ashbourne in the 1841 census of the same age who’s a shoemaker journeyman I think.

Have you found the James in Manchester in the 1851 census or anything else about him? Do you have any other evidence to connect him to Derbyshire?

Just found a tree on Ancestry about the James Garland in Manchester in 1841. There is a lot of information on the tree and they have him with Irish ancestry.

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 May 20 12:02 BST (UK) »
Seeing a hill would be lovely, I live less than a mile from the sea but I haven’t seen it for 6 weeks and have another 6 weeks to go before I can go out of the garden fortunately the block of 7 flats I live in where built on the site of a large Victorian house so we have a big garden. When I tell people I do laps I say I feel like a hamster in a wheel!