Author Topic: McKnoe/Mcnoe family of New Abbey  (Read 2903 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: McKnoe/Mcnoe family of New Abbey
« Reply #27 on: Monday 04 May 20 12:35 BST (UK) »
One thing that now puzzles me, do you think the parents would register William James Milroy McKnoe and sister Jessie's births in Scotland as well as in Devon? Because it seems to be what happened.
As these children were born before the start of civil registration, they could not possibly have registered them in either Devon or Scotland. And when civil registration did start, births had to be registered in the district where they took place.

However there would be nothing to prevent parents having a child born in England or elsewhere and baptised in Scotland. I have found a couple of examples of this happening, but in both cases the (Scottish) parish register made it clear that the child was not born in the parish where it was baptised.

Here's an example: 1822, July. William Wyllie Esquire, late of London but a native of this town, and Martha Morrison his spouse, had their child's name registered called William Morrison Wyllie born the 12th day of December one thousand eight hundred and twenty at Aix Department of Bouches du Rhône in France when his birth is duly registered in the Books of the Commune, and baptised at Forfar on the 20th current by the Reverend John Skinner, Clergyman of the Episcopal Chapel of the place. [Forfar Parish Register]

On the other hand, what evidence is there that these McKnoe children were baptised in Scotland? There are no such baptisms in the old parochial registers, and if they were baptised in Devon, there would be no need for them to be baptised again. It looks to me as if someone has just assumed they were baptised in Scotland, without actually finding any evidence that they were.

Unfortunately I can't access that link to LDS Family Search.
Could that be because you have not registered to use the FamilySearch web site? It's free to use but you now have to register.

Probably Jenet and Jessie are the same person.
it will be. The names Janet and Jessie are totally interchangeable in Scotland.

Elizabeth's name is given as (?Howe). Many family trees have her as being born about 1808 in Carlisle Cumberland (parents Joseph Howe and Jane Irving).
It looks from the information found by Gadget as if that is another bit of sloppy research, published in one tree and then given spurious credibility by being copied by lots of other people.

Never believe anything you find online unless it is an image of an original document - and even then be wary as even original documents may contain mistakes. In particular, do not trust online family trees.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 04 May 20 13:11 BST (UK) »
Forfarian - do please read my  earlier posts. I have given details of the baptisms and have viewed the images and sent them to Ann.

I have also been able to get hold of the FS marriage licence and also sent it.

I do wish you would read threads. You have a tendency to not read what has already been posted.

You may mean to help but your posts often  confuse rather than clarify.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 04 May 20 13:25 BST (UK) »
I did read it all. None of the questions I commented on had been specifically answered in later posts.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Westozi

• RootsChat Extra
  • 3 x g grandmother Rose Heritage
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 04 May 20 14:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian, I appreciate your help
Devereaux: Kilkenny Ireland; Victoria Australia
Delacour: Vorden Netherlands; Victoria & Queensland
Church: Chester, England; NSW & Victoria
Marshall: Sussex England; Queensland Australia
Donovan: Cork Ireland; Victoria Australia
Heritage: Warwickshire England; Victoria
Steel: Montrose Scotland
Truesdale: Armagh Ireland; Victoria Australia
Brown: Armagh Ireland: Victoria Australia
Odell: Bedfordshire & Andover, Hampshire
Donovan: Somerset & Oxfordshire
Marks: Somerset & Gloucestershi

Offline elizabethsarah

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 03:23 BST (UK) »
Westozi, do you have records show that Elizabeth and the children came out in 1830?
Or might they have come out after Mr McNoe was established in WA?

I am researching the life of my ancestor Emma Mould, a servant who came to WA on the Cygnet in 1832-33. She made friends with someone travelling in steerage with her: a "Mrs Elizabeth Mc Noe," who had two children with her. I'd like to know more about Emma's relationships so I'd be gratified if you could tell me it's the same woman.

Here's a transcription of the notice that was in The Perth Gazette, Saturday 2 Feb 1833:

IMMIGRATION. 1832/33. On the CYGNET. Departed Portsmouth 19 Sep 1832, Arrived Swan River, 27 Jan 1833
SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE. Arrival the 27 Ultimo. The Cygnet, Captain John Rolls from London ; left Portsmouth the 19th Sept., Cabin Passengers, - Mr. and Mrs. Harris, and six children ; - Messrs Barnard Clarkson, Lenox Bussell, two Miss Bussell's, Mrs. Luke Leake, Miss Kingham, Mr. Shenton, Mr. Robert Souper. Steerage-Messrs. John Hardey, Charles Clarkson, Edward Sears, Mr. and Mrs. Kingsford, and daughter, Messrs. George Coldstock, Edward Hodgson, H. C. Harris, George Gladman, William Walker, Edward Powel, George Lagenby, E. Mc Noe, and two children. Servants to Mr Harris, Meloy, Swine, Ann Hunt, Servants to Mr. Bussell, Phobe Bower, Emma Mould. Vessels lying in Gages Roads. -The Cornwallis-The Thistle-The Jolly Rambler, and Cygnet.

Offline Westozi

• RootsChat Extra
  • 3 x g grandmother Rose Heritage
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry elizabethsarah, it doesn't look as if I've replied to you.  Yes, that would be "my" Elizabeth McKnoe (several spelling versions of her name).  Her husband came out to Australia in 1830, she and her children William and Jessie followed in 1833 on board the Cygnet.  Source: Friends of Battye Library.  I have seen that advertisement you mention about Shipping Intelligence.  I think it comes from the Perth Gazette of 2 February 1833.  I know nothing about Emma Mould.
Regards
Ann
Devereaux: Kilkenny Ireland; Victoria Australia
Delacour: Vorden Netherlands; Victoria & Queensland
Church: Chester, England; NSW & Victoria
Marshall: Sussex England; Queensland Australia
Donovan: Cork Ireland; Victoria Australia
Heritage: Warwickshire England; Victoria
Steel: Montrose Scotland
Truesdale: Armagh Ireland; Victoria Australia
Brown: Armagh Ireland: Victoria Australia
Odell: Bedfordshire & Andover, Hampshire