Author Topic: Diary - Sunday 3 May 2020  (Read 821 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Sunday 3 May 2020
« on: Sunday 03 May 20 21:21 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, when I think back we had a dog .. I  hope that it was just dew on the grass that I washed my face with ..  :o

Diary:

I woke up in the early hours of the morning and couldn't get back off to sleep for some reason.  Eventually I picked up my book and read for a little bit until I did become sleepy again.

I made a broccoli quiche today and decided to also give Hugh Fearnley-Whittonstall's idea of using the leftovers and the nobbly hard stalk to make some broccoli & cheese soup.  I chopped up the stalk into very small bits about the size of chopped spring onions and fried this to soften and then cooked a bit longer with onion and garlic.  I had a taster of the soup before I froze it to have later in the week.  With the stalk added there is a much creamier texture and it is lighter in colour.  It definitely tastes alright but I think I prefer the old version recipe soup without the stalk.  Perhaps it might be an acquired taste.  However, I think I might have to try to find another way to use up the stalk next time.

I also did some ironing today and a bit more pottering about.

A plastic charity bag from  'CombatCancer' was shoved through the letterbox today.  The first since lockdown began.  My letterbox was opened again about 20 minutes later and something dropped on the mat.  At first I thought it was another plastic charity bag being pushed through but it was a letter from my neighbour letting me know they have sadly had to have their lovely old dog put to sleep today as he had a bad turn.  Neighbour wrote that they are heartbroken.  I feel very sad about this too.  He was a lovely old dog, almost 18 years old but he had had health problems for some time, so it all hasn't been totally unexpected.  I have known that dog since they first got him as a puppy.  He had a gentle nature and was  loyal and well trained.   I know all of them, especially the kids will be finding this quite a blow.

It has been a bit miserable and cold on the weather front today.  I daresay a bit rain will be good for the crops, though.

I am now making my commute once again to nightshift.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Sunday 3 May 2020
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 May 20 21:58 BST (UK) »
RTL, you had me laughing about your dog and the dew then almost in tears reading about your neighbour's poor dog. Good to read about you having some time off this weekend, I hope your commute and your shift go well tonight.

A better day for me than yesterday. Got news this morning that my friend who has just had an operation is recovering well, that came as a great relief to me. Had a WhatsApp chat with another friend who reminded me of what I tell people - that we don't have to do anything major like learning Mandarin (hmmmm  :-\ ).

Decided to go for my walk later today, I wanted to get the freezer sorted out before my grocery delivery tomorrow, it's pretty empty at the moment. It's in the garage and as it's a very old freezer it needs defrosting. Put the remaining items in a cool box and started defrosting with my hand held steam cleaner, it's not one of those big things you do the drive or whatever with, more like a kettle with a hose. Had also put a bottle of cleaner in the dishwasher, it has to have a full programme. Brought the freezer drawers into the kitchen for a wash, I'd washed a few pots as I didn't want to leave them till the dishwasher cleaning was finished, left them to drain, the whole kitchen was looking a right mess. Tidied it up after putting the food back in the freezer.

Had lunch and went for my walk about 2pm, had looked at the forecast and rain was forecast a bit later. It was cool and cloudy, not many people on the field but as usual the ones that were seemed to be getting in my way! A boy on a bike kept cycling towards me even though he had a massive field to cycle on. Managed to escape him, any more of it and he would have been getting told. Into the woods thinking it would be quiet - it was until I got further along and a dog walker decided to come in from a side path, then a cyclist etc etc. Never mind, I got my walk.

Back home for a cuppa, rang my friend whose daughter is a nurse and has had the virus. She's a lot better now, thank goodness. Two bits of good news in one day.

Bathroom cleaning, kitchen floor cleaning, on and on it goes! Had got a chicken breast out of the freezer for tea, I don't follow recipes but get ideas from them, made my own concoction, put it in a casserole dish with tinned tomatoes, sliced peppers, I usually add chickpeas but used some sweetcorn left over from the other day, paprika. I think I usually put some onions in but I forgot. Into the oven, had it with a baked poato, it was nice.

Rootschat, TV, same evening routine as usual.

See you on Monday  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 May 20 23:25 BST (UK) »
Good to hear you've had some time off RTL, I'm sure it all goes by quickly and now you're back at work...
Sorry to hear about your neighbours dog though.. 18 is a good age.. our neighbours cat was 22 when it passed away, it disappeared as I don't think it wanted to pass away at home, neighbour was frantic to find it... it was under the hedge at the back of their garden...

Glad you've had a better day too Roobarb... it's always good to catch up with friends and have a good natter, sure you're looking forward to your delivery tomorrow.. sign of the times that we can eulogise over a food delivery isn't it!

My day... dull all day, it looked as if it was going to rain but never did, it was chilly too..
I can't believe I actually managed to get a c & c slot for shopping on Wednesday!
Usual Sunday reading the papers they seem to get thinner every week as there's  not much to write about... travel section.... what travel... home section... no ones looking at houses or thinking of moving.... business section... not much going on there either... tv mag thinner than ever as no reports on new films, theatre or etc going on... main paper full of covid related articles... and they're still charging the same! Oh well get over it I suppose...
Lunch as normal... played scrabble OH won again! Few videos back and forth with boys as OH finally finished the millennium jigsaw so boys wanted to see it!
Dinner...herb crusted pork filled with roasted vegs..

Watched tv bed and a read

Another week looming - meeting up with my friends for our book club virtually of course... still got the book as library was all closed when it was due back an age ago now so I can at least refresh my memory as I've read many more since that one!

Take care, be safe and it'll be interesting to see what the government has to say this coming week..

Caroline 
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 May 20 00:04 BST (UK) »
It's so sad when a beloved pet dies. I trimmed the grass today on my cat's grave and found a wild rose, at least I think that's what it is, growing at the edge of the grave, that felt good.

Lovely sunshine so spent all afternoon in the garden with my mother, did a bit of gardening and a lot of reading.

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 May 20 00:43 BST (UK) »
A lazy lie in today as it is Sunday.  It has really helped over the past few weeks being strict with myself and keeping to a routine even if it is only to get up and out by a certain time for the 'park' walk.  As it is Sunday it is my day off from the park as the family usually go for a wander together.  The weather, though not great this morning was lovely this afternoon.

I guess a sign of our impending 'unlocking' as I sighted a  traffic warden out issuing tickets near a local NT property.  Not a very nice surprise to find when returning from your daily walk.

This morning I finished off making some vegetable soup, and made some cheesy scones!  The recipe was from a Youtube  video which has been made by one of the many people who have found new talents and ways to keep busy over the lockdown.  Anyway, I'm was very pleased with my baking and hope to do more.

A lazy afternoon and quiet evening with the telly finishing with the 'Kings Speech'. Always a good movie on late on a Sunday.

Stay safe!
CD

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 May 20 12:20 BST (UK) »
Caroline, perhaps you could secretly take an online scrabble course that would set you up to beat your OH at it! That's if there is such a thing, but there does seem to be a course for everything these days.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 May 20 12:40 BST (UK) »
Caroline, perhaps you could secretly take an online scrabble course that would set you up to beat your OH at it! That's if there is such a thing, but there does seem to be a course for everything these days.  :)

It's certainly a thought! I was winning 3-0 when we first started! Think I'm too generous in trying to open up the board and giving him the chance on all the double word scores... I didn't do that to begin with so perhaps I'll have to revert to previous tactics then!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 May 20 12:45 BST (UK) »
I've never played scrabble in my life so you're certainly doing better than me! No idea why I've never done so, our family used to play such things as cribbage, card games that needed some skill etc.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 May 20 13:08 BST (UK) »
If you like Scrabble Caroline, you might also like Upwords:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upwords

I haven't played it for years but at one stage it was a permanent feature on my coffee table.