Author Topic: Hugh Higgins  (Read 522 times)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Higgins
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 21 May 20 15:24 BST (UK) »
So, this family seems to have been firmly from Co. Sligo. Unlikely to be related to someone from Co. Offaly.

Offline higginsag

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 23 May 20 02:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you Eileen and Sandra for all your time and interest.  I did have some of the information, ie. the list of legatees, but you have given me more data. The one puzzle is that this particular Higgins fits for not having any children. He communicated with his brother in NZ in the early nineteen hundreds about an interest in adopting one of his nephews (my grandad) - which did not happen.  Therefore, one would think he had a wife (hopefully).  Hugh is not a family name on this side of the oceans but your wonderful researchers found a Higgins family in Kilcolman, Offaly, with a son Michael (born on the correct date (1835) for my ggrandfather Michael who came to NZ) and another son Hugh (b.1838) who emigrated to the States on the "Universe" arriving in New York on 31 October 1860 aged 22.  Thus I have been pursuing any number of Hugh Higginses.  Another son, James (b. 1845) may well have emigrated to the States as well.  It's a jolly tricky business! Best wishes, Higginsag.

Offline higginsag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 May 20 04:28 BST (UK) »
Further to my last message I feel I may be more successful following Bernard J Higgins, the nephew of Hugh Higgins, because if I am tracking the right family, he would be the son of the only other brother in Ireland, James.  Does this make sense?  Thank you. Higginsag.

Offline higginsag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 01 June 20 05:44 BST (UK) »

Thank you again Eileen and Sandra.  Higginsag.